[NEohioPAL] MUST SEE "Laughing Stock"!

Jeff Stryker jffstryker at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 09:16:21 PST 2008

I just had to write to the list!  I saw "Laughing Stock" at the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre last night and have never laughed so hard at a play in my life!!  I had not heard of the show and was sort of dragged reluctantly to go see it and am so glad that I did.  I think that anyone who has ever worked on a stage production in some way must see this show!!  You will see a little bit of everyone you know up there on that stage.  The characters could have been stereotypes, but this cast is so amazing that they breathe life into them without falling into caricatures.  Even the quiet moments between actors Eric Oswald and Denise Bernstein were so well done and just held my attention.

Act I to me was like so many shows I've been involved with - I've seen auditions like this and I've seen rehearsals that look like they're never going to come together and for it to be represented up there on that stage by actors playing actors was too much fun.  But then Act II - I laughed so hard during Act II that I was hurting!

Although I don't want to give to much away, the show is about a little theatre trying to put on three productions - "Dracula", "Charley's Aunt", and "Hamlet."  You get to see everything that can go wrong and it was so very worth it!

There are only three performances left - tonight and next weekend - and I think this show should be a requirement for all actors to see!!  All I could think was WHY didn't I audition for this show??  But at the same time, I couldn't imagine a more talented cast than what I saw up on that stage!  Don't ask, just go to Chagrin Valley Little Theatre and see this show!!

Gregory Gaines