[NEohioPAL] Guidance Needed-Bringing A-List Film Production

Michael Rubin actorep10 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 12:54:38 PST 2008

In the last couple of days,I've been pleasantly overwhelmed by the positive response to this posting,and slightly amused by one actor(,shall remain nameless,with too much time on his hands),who felt my few typos and grammatical errors ruined his day.Go figure.

This posting will answer a couple of good questions people have thrown my way.I'll be brief,and I'll try not to tick anyone off this time.

Cleveland is home to a few good Indie Film Directors and Producers with the skill and smarts to make a great product.I've been fortunate to be cast in a couple of these projects.
Why don't I just partner with these folks,some of you ask?
See Jean Zarzour's site www.gotpay.org
I've learned that many local Directors,while honest and and with good intentions,advertise that their cast and crew will have a good time,meet people,gain exposure,get lunch and a copy,yet are UNABLE to PAY their crew or talent.(This should be a felony offense)
They advertise exposure at film festivals,but this does not happen as frequently as promised.Not their fault,but sometimes the project dies for various reasons.

The major difference,I've learned, between an Indie Film that makes it and one that doesn't is solid financing,period!! Some of you have heard about Low Budget SAG.Look into it.
So in summary to this answer.I do not wish to part of Producing anything here where people will say that Rubin guy ripped us on making money.

Another good question.
Why don't I just call the folks at the Cleveland and Ohio Film Commissions? I intend to do that.Why should some of the SAG pictures go to our neighbors in Pittsburgh.Pittsburgh's film commission is known to be a tad more pro-active in approaching major studios..Perhaps I'm naive or misinformed,but has anything equal to Spidy III been done here lately.It's been nearly two years.

Finally,a sub-par question:
Why don't I ask my cousin to get me a producing job? I live here,do not wish to move to LA,and as mentioned in my initial posting,am not close buddies with my cousin,
He would help me in a heartbeat,but I'd need a more credentialed partner to earn his ear.I've never produced before.He is an Orange High grad,and at Thanksgiving,expressed an interest in the goings on in Cleveland.

Just a teaser-his older brother,an Orthodox Jew here in University Hts,graduated same class as Fred Sternfeld.

Thanks

Mike Rubin