[NEohioPAL] re: Kulcher Notes

Pamela Christian dearpam74 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:08:15 PST 2008

As a high school theatre teacher I want to add my two cents worth.  There is a large and flourishing Educational Theatre Association working diligently to provide high school and middle school students with high quality theatre education as a curricular subject and as extra curricular programs. We are educated and organized, creating teaching standards that range from acting to technical theatre, dramaturgy, theatre history and theatre appreciation. Students are taught that theatre is valuable, important, expressive and fun (this is NOT a dirty word in theatre education). If anyone wants to see quality high school theatre programs just check out the Elyria HS drama play this weekend, or look into your local high school and you will see students participating in such programs.

That having been said it is getting harder and harder to compete for funds and attention in school systems where money is short. Our needs are frequently brushed aside in favor of the desires of athletics. More parents are allowing students to take jobs after school which impact their ability to participate fully in after school programs. Well-meaning parents often overlook what their student loses by taking those low paying jobs.

The Ohio Educational Theatre Association in conjuction with the Educational Theatre Association strives to keep these programs and these students active and successful in spite of all of the competition. We also promote March as Theatre for Life Month, which is a campaign to encourge a life-long love of the arts. Its motto is "A stage for every age" I encourage anyone to look us up online and see the organized effort to encourage today's students into a life-long love of the arts!

Thanks
Pam Christian
Drama Dept Director Elyria High School
State Board Member OhEdTA