[NEohioPAL] Souhail Kaspar, Master Percussionist and Grammy Nominee, back in Cleveland, April 11-13, 2008

Soraya M. sorayasun at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 22:36:50 PST 2008

Back by popular demand!!  Master percussionist and dance coach, Souhail Kaspar of L.A. is returning for another Arabic "RHYTHM & MOVEMENT SEMINAR" for dancers and drummers alike!!

  Date of dance and drumming seminar will be April 12-13, 2008 with a special evening show or hafla on Friday, April 11.  Performances by belly dancers (from professional to student level) with live music provided by Souhail and local musicians.  Souhail will also be available for private instruction.

  Venue and event details T.B.A. later this week!!  You can also email Soraya at sorayasun at yahoo.com for more info or check out the website of Belly DanceTroupe Director of the Wind and Sand Dance Company, Cassandra Al Warda at  www.windandsand.com for updates and registration starting next week.

  Some of the raving reviews from participants of Souhail's January workshop:

  "...I enjoyed the overall workshop and look for more in the future.”

  “
an excellent teacher. taught things I never even thought about, like the need to keep the hands flexible, and hand positions on the drum. I can play the zils ok, just following what I hear but not sure of proper name of particular rhythms. Truly felt the class was very worthwhile. the explanations of cultural characteristics in relation to movement style were most helpful.”

  "It's so refreshing and inspiring to study with such a legend who masterfully combines key elements to understanding how rhythms, downbeats, accents and instrumental solos should be expressed by the dancer's movements and he explains and teaches in a such a non-threatening way and gives individual attention.  He's like the dance coach I've always wished for!"

  “
the information he provided is invaluable to me as a dancer. I've studied with many dancers that I think are wonderful, but this specific knowledge he imparted about moving correctly to the drum, and working with the drummer, has never been explained to me before. It has changed my way of thinking and will change the way I dance from here on.”

  "...was such an excellent opportunity to finally learn to play my doumbek (Arabic drum) with proper technique and hand positions.  Please bring Mr. Kaspar back soon!!!"

  For more info about Souhail Kaspar, check him out on www.myspace.com/souhailkaspar or www.neareastmusic.com .