[NEohioPAL] Actors' Summit offers "pay what you can" for Macbeth THIS WEEKEND

Mjalexthac at aol.com Mjalexthac at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 18:38:17 PST 2008

PRESS RELEASE
For more  information
contact MaryJo Alexander
330-342-0800
_www.actorssummit.org_ (http://www.actorssummit.org/)
Actors’ Summit  Theater
Offers “Pay What You  Can” Tickets
for  final Macbeth Performances
Actors’ Summit, a Professional  Theater, located in historic downtown Hudson,
is pleased to announce a special  offering of discounted tickets for the
final weekend of the current,  critically acclaimed production of the
Shakespeare's classic Macbeth,  March 7, 8 and 9,  2008.
“We’ve had a great response to our  student matinees these past two weeks. “
commented Neil Thackaberry, the  production’s director. “We want to make sure
these performances are available to high school and  college students.
Macbeth is part of the standard English curriculum for our area high  schools .”
About The  Play

Based on  stories of Scottish history, the play tells the story of Macbeth's
rise to the  kingship by assassination. Complicating what could be a simple
story of ambition  are the witches, who tell Macbeth that he will one day become
king. They also  predict that the children of Macbeth's friend Banquo will in
the future be  Kings. The two prophecies help to set Macbeth on a murderous
path that finally  leads to civil war. In addition to the influence of the
witches, Lady Macbeth's  ambitions help push Macbeth into action.

The play was probably first performed in 1603.  Scholars assign this date
because of internal references that may relate to King  James I of England. James
traced his ancestry to Banquo and had a strong  interest in witchcraft.

The play is also one that is the source of a long  tradition of superstition.
Theater folklore has it that Shakespeare used actual  spells in the play and
in retribution, the witches of England put a curse on the  play. In theaters
throughout the English speaking world, the title of the play  is never spoken
in the theater. Instead, Macbeth is simply referred to as the  Scottish play.
The Cast

Leading the cast are the co-artistic  directors of Actors' Summit -- MaryJo
Alexander (Lady Macbeth) and Neil Thackaberry. MaryJo has performed at
Ensemble Theatre, Cain Park, and  Porthouse Theatre.  Neil Thackaberry (Macbeth) has
performed  at the Cleveland Play House, Ensemble Theater, and  Great Lakes
Theatre Festival, in  addition to a wide range of roles at Actors' Summit.

The witches are lead  by Actors' Summit regular Sally Groth who doubles in
the role of Lady  Macduff. Terry  Burgler does triple duty playing King Duncan,
the  Porter, and the Doctor. He is the founding artistic director of the Ohio
Shakespeare Festival.  Nick  Koesters, returns to the Actors' Summit stage in
the  role of Macduff.  Keith Stevens plays Malcolm, his fourth role in the
current season.  Daniel Taylor plays Lennox, returning to the Actors' Summit
stage for the fourth time; Daniel also has composed original music for this
production.
The Reviews

"An eerily  thrilling tone pervades Actors' Summit's Macbeth, from the
opening  percussive chorus that the whole cast creates to the play's final moments,
as  the three sinister witches beckon a new young king offstage. " according
to Kerry Clawson of the Beacon  Journal
"As Macbeth,  Thackaberry has  such a gloomy intensity from the start, we see
how this nobleman's dark nature  emerges so quickly that he is unable to
control his ''black and deep  desires.''  Clawson continues "Alexander's Lady
Macbeth is believably ruthless" and "Macbeth (Thackaberry) . . . shows remorse
for the carnage he is inflicting but is  incapable of stopping."
David Ritchey of the West Side  Leader writes: "The play Macbeth is being
performed in an excellent production at Actors’ Summit Theater . . . Macbeth is
helped in his  thirst for control by his wife, Lady Macbeth (MaryJo
Alexander), who is as power  hungry as her husband.  Together, they are a formidable
pair. . . If Thackaberry and Alexander  want to run for office, I’ll vote for
them."
Dr. Ritchey continues "Terry Burgler (King Duncan/Porter/Doctor) makes his
three  roles distinct; he proves once again he is a gifted actor with a wide
range of  abilities."
Fran Heller of the Cleveland Jewish  News remarked:  "The production at
Actors' Summit,  ably directed by Neil Thackaberry is nothing short of heroic."
Ms. Heller continues "This  production is an instance where . . . Shakespeare's
poetry is allowed to breathe."
Performances
Regular performances continue through  March 9th.  Thursday, Friday &
Saturday nights at 8:00 p.m. and a final Sunday matinee at 2:00  p.m.  Regular,
reserved seat tickets  can be purchased by phone by calling (330) 342-0800 or on
line at _www.actorssummit.org._ (http://www.actorssummit.org./)
Pay what you can  tickets
Please arrive 30 minutes  before the start of the performance at the box
office. Pay what  you can tickets are cash only  based on availability. Discounted
tickets are for this Friday, Saturday and  Sunday only. No credit cards and
no online orders.   There is a suggested minimum price of $10.00  per ticket.
Web site
Actors’ Summit Theater can be found on the web  at _www.actorssummit.org_
(http://www.actorssummit.org/) . Actors' Summit is a professional, not for
profit, 501-c-3  professional arts organization.  We are seeking volunteers and
board  members.  For more  details please call MaryJo or Neil at (330) 342-0800.
Actors' Summit is working under a  developmental agreement with Actors'
Equity Association (the Union of  professional Actors and Stage Managers

MaryJo Alexander

CoArtistic Director
Actors' Summit Theater
86  Owen Brown St
Hudson Oh 44236
330-342-0800
_www.actorssummit.org_ (http://www.actorssummit.org/)

"Life is either a daring adventure---or nothing!" Helen  Keller