[NEohioPAL] TrueNorth Cultural Arts hosts Visaul artist / Calligrpaher, Timothy Botts

Richard A. Fortney rafortney at oh.rr.com
Fri Mar 14 03:49:26 PDT 2008

Artist Timothy Botts is our featured artist this weekend at TrueNorth.  To learn more about Timothy, please visit his web site at http://www.timbotts.com/.  He was our guest in 2002 where he did performance art as the orchestra and chorale performed Handel's The Messiah; his performance art has been hanging in our TrueNorth Gallery for the past few years.  This year he will be painting to The Creation by Joseph Haydn at our Saturday evening performance at French Creek.  I encourage as many of you to attend as possible.

In addition I have asked him to present a workshop on Saturday afternoon from 3:00 - 4:30 p.m.  he will be presenting:  Word Pictures in Expressive Calligraphy - A slide show will illustrate ways to take words and express their meaning visually through various principles of graphic design. Then a wall demonstration will take you through a text as an example of this process. Finally, you will have a chance to make your own word picture using your own printscript and handwriting with various markers, crayons and color pencils. This process can be a powerful means of meditating on words that are important to you.

TrueNorth will provide miscellaneous crayons, color pencils and markers--nothing expensive or specific to calligraphy, + one or two sheets of white tabloid (11x17") paper.  In addition, if you would like to bring your own art supplies for your personal work, you are welcome to do so.

This workshop is free and open to all.  TrueNorth is located at French Creek Nature Center in Sheffield Village, 4530 Colorado Avenue (Rt. 611), just 10 minutes from Crocker Park off of I-90!  Directions to French Creek is found on our web site www.TNCArts.org.

Hope to see many of you at French Creek on Saturday afternoon for a workshop with Timothy Botts, and at the concert that evening!