[NEohioPAL] The Bargain ...news article 3/15/08

David Fox divadxof at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 07:02:10 PDT 2008

Janet Podolak/ News Herald 3/15/08
  JPodolak at News-Herald.com

  PASSION OF THE FOX

    His likeness to the traditional images of Jesus is unmistakable.
  “Everytime I’ve played Jesus I’ve been transformed,” said David Fox, a Mentor native who collaborated on both script and music for “The Bargain,” a rock operetta Passion play.
  When Fox takes to the stage this afternoon at Mayfield United Methodist Church it will likely happen again.

  “He becomes Jesus,” said Bruce Becker, youth minister for the church at 7747 Mayfield Road in Chester Township. “I’ve been very impressed with this whole production.”
    When the church, which opened four years ago, was in the process of planning its building the congregation wanted to make everything movable in its worship center.  “We built it so we could host things like this,” Becker said. “But this is the first time we’ve had a community theater production.”
  The worship center seats 400 people and Fox hopes to fill every seat for the free musical production.
  “We’ll take a free will offering to help us meet our expenses,” he said.
  Originally, tonight’s performance was to be its last. But when last week’s blizzard caused the cancellation of both its opening night and the Saturday afternoon performances, the church reorganized its Holy Week activities so “The Bargain” can be performed again on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

  “When you add up all the band members and tech people we have about 60 people involved,” Fox said. He’s known many of the performers from area community theater he’s done. Cast members range in age from 7 to 74.
   “Some of them drive pretty good distances to be here,” Fox said. “One gal even comes up from Cincinnati.”
   Several members of the Mayfield Church congregation also play roles or work backstage — including Becker. “I play a centurion,” he said. “My daughter wanted to play a role but she’s just 8 and a lot of time was needed for rehearsals. It just wasn’t feasible her going to bed late several nights in a row.”

  The story about the last days of Jesus is told from the perspective of Thomas, often called the doubter. “It’s based  on the book of John and is not modernized,” he said. “We’re not trying to create a new ‘Godspell’ or ‘Jesus Christ Superstar.’” The Bargain was first performed in 2004, but has been revised considerably. “We have 25 original songs and are incorporating art work by Russian digital artist Ed Unitsky,” Fox said.

  Becker believes the musical will give the familiar story a new perspective. “One neat aspect is that it gives some background. It opens with John the Baptist baptizing Jesus and recounts some of the miracles Jesus did.”
  Fox was careful not to make the crucifixion too graphic for children. “Jesus gets tossed around a bit, but it’s not frightening,” he said.

  He’s been gratified to see both cast and audience are affected by the show in good ways. “It’s helped people on their path,” he said.
  “To me the pivotal thing is that Jesus died on the cross for us,  so the path is made clear. If you accept that and accept him, you’re good to go.”

   Musical arrangements were done by Ric Koenig, a fellow Mentor native with whom Fox reunited six years ago. Both played in a Christian band Synergy.  Although Fox has no musical training, he’s played the guitar and baritone ukulele since he was a boy.
  Raised Catholic, he belongs to no specific church but attends church services regularly. “I’ve done a lot of vocal work for St. John Vianney In Mentor and will be singing at the Easter service,” he said.
  “I know God wants me to do this,” he said.
  box this

  “The Bargain” at Mayfield United Methodist Church, 7747 Mayfield Road (at Caves Road)
   3 p.m. today, 8 p.m. Friday March 21 and 3 p.m. Saturday March 22.

www.mayfieldchurch.org
  www.divadjxof.net/thebargain_2008

Always be kinder than you need to be. It may matter to someone more than you know.

www.divadjxof.net