[NEohioPAL] JUNIORS AND SENIORS - ACADEMY AUDITIONS EXTENDED THROUGH MAY 15

Tom Fulton tomfulton at chagrinacademy.org
Tue Apr 1 08:39:39 PDT 2008

April 1, 2008
From:  THE CHAGRIN FALLS PERFORMING ARTS
ACADEMY<http://www.chagrinacademy.org/> Tom
Fulton, Director

*Great News to students who are still interested in joining the Performing
Arts Academy! * Because of the need for special audition dates and times to
accomodate the busy schedules of talented students, the Chagrin Falls
Performing Arts Academy is extending the deadline for auditions to May 15,
2008.

The Performing Arts Academy is rare opportunity for *Juniors and
Seniors*who are students in the Aurora, Beachwood Chagrin Falls,
Mayfield, Orange,
Richmond Heights, Solon, South Euclid, and West Geauga School Systems to
study theatre a half day every day as part of their regular school studies.

   - *The Academy is fully accredited.*
   - *The Academy offers college credit.*
   - *Study during school hours*  - *during the school year.*
   - *The Academy is housed in the new Chagrin Falls Performing Arts
   Center*
   - *Tuition is paid by the public school system.*
   - *The Academy is under the direction of Tom
Fulton<http://www.chagrinacademy.org/director.htm>,
   a respected professional director, actor and acting teacher.*

Students may request an audition at: http://www.chagrinacademy.org/ask.asp.
Students should contact their home-school guidance counselor to acquire the
necessary forms and paperwork to enroll.  You should sign up for the Academy
ASAP, as there are only a few slots remaining.
 *
A NOTE FROM THE DIRECTOR ABOUT TRAINING AT THE PERFORMING ARTS ACADEMY*
 Dear Friends and Students of the Theatre:

If you're like I was at 16 or 17, you have a real love of acting and all
aspects of the theatre.  Most likely, the idea of attending a Performing
Arts Academy during school hours is an exciting one.  For myself, I had the
opportunity to attend Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan my senior year in
high school.  And while I remember being nervous and a bit anxious about the
prospect, once I got there, I had a remarkable experience, one that really
changed my life in so many positive ways.  It is one of the reasons I am
passionate about taking the helm of the Academy .  The study at Interlochen
has remained one of my fondest memories.  And now that I have been given the
opportunity, I want to help create a similar creative, challenging and fun
opportunity for the students in Northeast Ohio.  So far, we have a terrific
group of talented students and - *good news* - *still have several slots
open*, so if you decide you'd like to be a part of the Academy next year,
there's still room.
If you or your parents would like to talk to me about the 'experience' of
the Academy; what to expect; the training and the performance opportunities
we will have next year, I would be more than happy to discuss this some
time.  As you know from this e-mail, we will be holding private auditions
through May 15.  I can be reached on the academy website at:
www.chagrinacademy.org/ask.asp

If you haven't looked yet, please visit www.chagrinacademy.org .  It will
give you a good overview of the Academy.

I am attaching below, a short letter to prospective students from my good
friend and professional colleague, Mr. Michael Paller, who works at The
American Conservatory Theatre in San Fransisco, one the country's foremost
repertory companies.  I attach it because I believe it explains the essence
of what we will be studying over the next year at the Academy and may shed
some light on what you might experience if you decide to attend.

*"TO PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS OF THE ACADEMY"*
**
*  * *"I have known Tom Fulton since 1968.  We worked together at Center
Repertory Theatre and at the Phoenix Theatre Ensemble in Cleveland, and I
particularly observed Tom's work as a teacher and director.  Since those
years, I have worked in the professional theatre as a dramaturg and/or
literary manager at some of the country's premiere theaters, including the
Long Wharf and the Roundabout; I am now the dramaturg and Director of
Humanities at the American Conservatory Theater, where I also teach in our
MFA acting program (one of the top five in America).  In all of those years,
I have met very few teachers or directors who surpass Tom in either of those
capacities, and I have worked (and work) with many of the best.

* *In addition to his sheer knowledge of theatre craft, what has always set
Tom apart is his ability to inspire students and actors.  He does this by
creating a positive and supportive atmosphere in which it is safe to create
and explore, and where students can feel empowered by their abilities and by
the skill and discipline that Tom instills in them.  He also brings into
every classroom and institution a palpable and fierce belief in the
importance of theatre and the demand that we give it the very best that we
can every time we step on a stage.  The result, which I saw time and again,
is that students – and non-students, too – give the very best performance
they are capable of giving:  better, often, than they felt they were capable
of, better than they had given before. "
*
*- Michael Paller _*
*Dramaturg, Director of Humanities*
*American Conservatory Theatre*
*San Francisco*

Ultimately, as in all things,  follow your heart!

Warm Regards,

Tom Fulton
Director
Chagrin Falls Performing Arts Academy