[NEohioPAL] Unsolicited review of "A Handsome Woman Retreats" by Kim Wayans

Nina Glover ninaglo at gmail.com
Sat May 3 06:35:07 PDT 2008

In between rehearsals for "Migration" [which I will shamelessly promote in a
separate listing :)] I was able to catch a late show of "A Handsome Woman
Retreats" by Kim Wayans. If you have not been to see this beautifully
constructed and performed piece of theater at the Cleveland Playhouse Fusion
Fest, you have one more chance on Sunday May 4th at 2:30. We all know Ms.
Wayans' talent from her years on "In Living Color" with her brothers and Jim
Carey, David Allen Greer, and Jaime Foxx. However, one cannot understand the
full scope of her talent until you see her work in her one woman show. I
will not pretend to be a professional reviewer--I will leave that to Mr.
Brown and Mr. Berko, Ms. Howey and Mr. D'Amico among others.  But I think
enough of you know and respect me well enough to take my opinion with a
degree of trust. SEE THIS SHOW.

Earlier this week, Ms. Wayans hosted a workshop with the theater majors at
the Cleveland School of the Arts, seeing her offstage only solidified my
opinion of her work in the show. We get to see the soul of the artist, and
lets face it in the theater that's what we live for. To see the passion
behind, underneath and within the work. I have to mention that its even more
impressive because this is her first time on the theatrical stage. Enough
from me--SEE THIS SHOW!