[NEohioPAL] Replacement for previous submission: Berko review: THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE (Playhouse Square Center)

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 12:55:29 PDT 2008

How do you spell fun?  SPELLING BEE at Palace Theatre

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

--coolcleveland.com--

‘THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAN COUNTY SPELLING BEE,’ which
for the rest of this column will be referred to as THE
BEE, is presently on-stage at the Palace Theatre.  It
is one of those cute, fun pieces of theatre.  Though
there is a little attempt to make the whole thing
present a message about kindness and understanding, it
is, at least the first two-thirds of it, a delightful
romp where we laugh both with and at the contestants.

THE BEE is a one-act musical which centers on six
quirky teens competing for the title of “Spelling
Champion.”  They are overseen by grown-ups who have
barely managed to escape childhood themselves.  In the
process we all supposedly learn that “winning isn’t
everything and that losing doesn’t necessarily make
you a loser.”  Yeah, sure!

The script is based upon ‘C-R-E-P-U-S-C-U-L-E,’ an
original play created by Rebecca Feldman.  It was
originally an improv piece and it still retains some
of that same energy and creativity, especially when
members of the audience are placed on stage as
spellers and they don’t necessarily follow the cues
they’ve been given.  On opening night, a tween named
Jack Michaels threw a monkey wrench into the
proceedings when he correctly spelled a very difficult
word, causing the announcer to madly ad lib and find a
word to get rid of the kid so the “scripted” show
could continue.

After a successful off-Broadway run, THE BEE opened
on-Broadway to good reviews and box-office success.
It was nominated for six Tony Awards, winning two,
including Best Book.

The touring production is true to the show I saw in
New York.  In fact,
several of the cast are transfers from the recently
closed Broadway production.

Each role in the production is well-performed.   From
the audience reactions the favorites included
Cleveland native Eric Roediger, a former local theatre
youth director, who plays the over-weight,
nut-allergic, allergy prone William Barfee who spells
words by use of a unique foot-sketching method.  His
song, “Magic Feet” was delightful.

Leaf Coneybear, who makes his own clothes, wears a
helmet as he keeps falling down and bumping into
things, and has been convinced by his family that he
is not exactly a whiz kid, enchants the audience with
“I’m Not That Smart.”   Andrew Keenan-Bolger’s
portrayal is so endearing that when he finally spelled
out, his exit was met with a series of moans from the
audience.

Dana Steingold as Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre (she
has two dads and uses both of their last names
connected by an “and), who is the President of her
elementary school’s Gay, Lesbian Transgender and
Questioning Organization, is a total delight.

As is the case with shows that I perceive as being
kid-friendly, I took my 12 year-old grandson, Alex
with me..  He gave the show an 8 out of 10.  He
stated, “I thought lots of it was funny, but some it
was not exactly for youngsters.”  (He was slouched
down in his seat and giggled through the “My
Unfortunate Erection,” which was well sung by Justin
Keyes; but, I’m not sure sitting next to grandpa
during that number was totally relaxing, even if he
has had “the sex talk with Daddy.”)  He thought the
first part of the show was “really funny,”  but
thought the last half “dragged a little.”  Being a
talented pianist, he did question some of the vocal
blendings.  His favorite character was Barfee (the
foot speller).  His final comment?  “I’d like to have
gone up on stage and been a contestant, like that
kid.”

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT:  ‘THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY
SPELLING BEE” is a fun show.   Since it is rather
intimate, I’m not sure how well it played to the back
of the front floor or in the balcony.   I’d not
recommend it for anyone less than in their mid-teens.

It runs through May 18.  Tickets can be ordered by
calling 216-241-6000 or going to
www.playhousesquare.org.

Roy Berko's blog, which contains theatre and dance reviews from 2001 through 2008, as well as his consulting and publications information, can be found at http://royberko.info