[NEohioPAL] COSE Announces Finalists for Arts Business and Innovation Awards

Maier, Abigail AMaier at cose.org
Thu May 8 14:36:51 PDT 2008

Contact: Lauren Sable

             (216) 592-2396

             lsable at cose.org <mailto:amarko at gcpartnership.com>

COSE Announces Finalists for
Arts Business and Innovation Awards

CLEVELAND, May 6, 2008 - COSE's (Council of Smaller Enterprises) Arts
Network will recognize the entrepreneurial risks taken by both artists
and small businesses at the COSE Arts Business and Innovation Awards on
Thursday, May 15, from 6 - 9 pm at Park Lane Villa in University Circle.

Thirty-six artists, galleries, arts organization and arts-based
businesses from around the region applied for the three categories of
Arts Business and Innovation Awards.

*        The Cleveland Arts Prize Shared Category recognizes an artist
who has already been recognized for the caliber of work through
receiving an Arts Prize, and they have also shown a commitment to
sustaining their careers through sound business practices. This year's
finalists are: Groundworks Dancetheater (dancer/choreographer David
Shimotakahara), author Mary Doria Russell, composer Loris Chobanian,
poet George Bilgere, and photographer Linda Butler.

*        The Artist Entrepreneur category recognizes an artist, arts
group or arts based business who has demonstrated a commitment to
sustaining their career in the arts through sound business practices.
This year's finalists are: Interactive Works of Art (artist Melissa
Daubert), Prelude2Cinema (film maker Alex P. Michaels) Peninsula Arts
Academy, Fairplay Stonecarvers (artists Nick Fairplay and Elizabeth
Meadows), and TAP Studios/Gallery M (jewelry artist Todd Powmell).

*        The Business Patron Category is an honorary award which
recognizes businesses for engaging in creative partnerships that have
benefited the local arts community. The Business Patron Category winners
have already been selected. This year's winners are: Studio Graphique,
for their Art of Space exhibit and auction, and ZeroLandfill, for their
commitment to connecting artists and arts educators with recycled
materials from interior design firms.

"We were very excited with the number of applications and the variety of
artistic backgrounds of the applicants," said Abby Maier, COSE's arts
network leader. "We know that focusing on the business aspect of art is
a different twist on an arts award- that's not something generally
associated with the arts. However it's so important for artists to pay
attention to these issues, and we knew there were plenty of great
examples out there that we could show to the community. I think our
finalists really exemplify the traits we were hoping to recognize -
understanding their financial situation, planning for the future, and
knowing how to market their work."

Tickets are still available for the event, which is free for COSE
members and $15 for non-members. For more information, log on to
www.cosearts.org <http://www.cosearts.org/>  or call (216) 592-2472.

About COSE & COSE Arts Network

COSE, Northeast Ohio's largest small business support organization,
strives to help small businesses grow and maintain their independence.
Comprised of more than 17,000 member companies, COSE has a long history
of fighting for the rights of all small business owners, whether it's
through group purchasing programs in healthcare, workers' compensation,
payroll services, or shipping, or advocating for specific changes in
legislation or regulation. COSE also produces more than 100 networking
and business education events each year - all focused on connecting our
members to each other to increase their productivity and sales.

The COSE Arts Network, in partnership with the Community Partnership for
Arts and Culture (CPAC), creates an opportunity for the arts and
business worlds to intersect through educational and networking events,
access to resources and unique promotional opportunities.

(www.cose.org)

###

Lauren Sable
Manager, Public Relations
COSE | Council of Smaller Enterprises
The Higbee Building
100 Public Square, Suite 210
Cleveland, OH 44113
Phone (216) 592-2396
Fax (216) 621-6013
lsable at cose.org

Looking to engage in a community of business owners just like you?  Join
a COSE Network - Home Business, NEOSA (technology), Arts - and gain
access to people, resources and support for your cause.  Learn more at
www.cose.org <blocked::http://www.cose.org/> .