[NEohioPAL] (Anyone know who sent this?) How about learning some grammar & editing skills..

Penelope Quade penelopegwynn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:45:26 PDT 2008

I only reply about the N-dash thing because I'm an english nerd...I openly
admit that.  I think the original poster was talking about the punctuation
mark...n-dash is kind of a fancy way of saying dash.  The Chicago Manual of
Style (similar to MLA, AP, APA, etc---told you I was a nerd) differentiates
between an n-dash (--), which is used for connecting numbers and dates (as
in 1998--1999), and the m-dash (---) which is used more frequently for
parentheticals and things of that nature.  For example....  "Darkness,
thunder, a sudden scream---nothing alarmed the child."

Just wanted to clear that up...and sufficiently show how much of a nerd I
really am.  That's not to say I think the original poster was justified in
what they said...who even CARES about en dashes and em dashes besides
publishers anyway!?!  I'm an english professor, and I don't teach that
stuff!!!