[NEohioPAL] Kresge Awards $1M Challenge Grant to Great Lakes Theater Festival

Todd Krispinsky tkrispinsky at greatlakestheater.org
Wed Jul 2 10:30:14 PDT 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 2, 2008

The Kresge Foundation Awards $1M Challenge Grant To
Great Lakes Theater Festival's Re-imagine a Classic Campaign

CLEVELAND, OHIO - July 2, 2008 - Great Lakes Theater Festival's (GLTF)
Re-Imagine a Classic Campaign has been awarded a challenge grant in the
amount of $1 million from the Kresge Foundation of Troy, Michigan.  The
grant was made on a challenge basis to stimulate new and increased
contributions to the campaign to create a permanent home for the
Festival at PlayhouseSquare's historic Hanna Theatre.

"We are extremely grateful to The Kresge Foundation for their remarkable
support of our project and we are pleased to accept the challenge of
completing the campaign to 're-imagine' the Hanna Theatre as an exciting
new home for Great Lakes Theater Festival," said Timothy K. Pistell,
GLTF's campaign chair and Executive Vice President and Chief Financial
Officer of Cleveland-based Parker Hannifin Corporation.  "To date, we
have raised 80% of our $19.2 million goal.  To meet the challenge, we
need to raise an additional $3 million by June of 2009.  We are
confident, that with the help of our community, we will be successful in
our endeavor."

"We appreciate your contribution to the local civic and cultural
community and commitment to quality classic productions," said Rip
Rapson, President and CEO of The Kresge Foundation in a recent award
letter to the Festival regarding GLTF's Re-Imagine a Classic campaign.
"We also applaud your efforts in providing access through your
educational programs and are pleased to support your organization and
the strategic opportunity presented by your capital campaign to expand
your private donor base."

The Kresge Foundation, created by the personal gifts of Sebastian S.
Kresge, is an independent, private foundation that supports communities
by building the capacity of non-profit organizations.  The foundation's
primary grantmaking tool is its Challenge Grant Program which is
designed to assist nonprofit organizations as they work to strengthen
leadership and financial support through challenge grants for capital
projects.  In 2007, the foundation approved 442 grants totaling $178
million.

"The Kresge Foundation's challenge grant is designed to help GLTF
broaden and deepen its base of support in the community," said Halsey
North, Chairman of The North Group Inc., the lead national consulting
firm for Great Lakes Theater Festival's Re-imagine a Classic campaign.
"Over the past thirty years, we have worked on over 50 campaigns for
non-profit performing arts centers and theaters across the United States
and believe Great Lakes' project to be one of the most innovative and
compelling. Our planning study has revealed that there is tremendous
potential for Great Lakes to realize a successful completion of its
campaign."

Great Lakes Theater Festival plans to complete Hanna Theatre
construction in time for the opening of its 47th season in September
2008, while its campaign will continue through June 2009.

#              #              #

Media Contact
Todd S. Krispinsky
Marketing and Public Relations Director
(216) 241-5490 x317
tkrispinsky at greatlakestheater.org
<BLOCKED::blocked::mailto:tkrispinsky at greatlakestheater.org>

Great Lakes Theater Festival
The mission of Great Lakes Theater Festival is to bring the pleasure,
power and relevance of classic theater to the widest possible audience
in northern Ohio.

Since the company's inception in 1962, programming has been rooted in
Shakespeare, but the Festival's commitment to great plays spans the
breadth of all cultures, forms of theater and time periods including the
20th century, and provides for the occasional mounting of new works that
compliment the classical repertoire.

Classic theater holds the capacity to illuminate truth and enduring
values, celebrate and challenge human nature and actions, revel in
eloquent language, preserve the traditions of diverse cultures and
generate communal spirit. On its mainstage and through its education
program, the Festival seeks to create visceral, immediate experiences
for participants, asserting theater's historic role as a vehicle for
advancing the common good, and helping people make the most joyful and
meaningful connections between classic plays and their own lives. This
Cleveland theater company wishes to share such vibrant experiences with
people across all age groups, creeds, racial and ethnic groups and
socioeconomic backgrounds.

The Festival is dedicated to the highest standards in all areas of its
operation, including theater production, education and outreach,
management and governance, and to creative problem solving and
innovation.

PlayhouseSquare
PlayhouseSquare is a not-for-profit performing arts center whose mission
is presenting and producing a wide variety of quality performing arts,
advancing arts education and creating a theater district that is a
superior location for entertainment, business and housing, thereby
strengthening the economic vitality of the region.