[NEohioPAL] Unsolicited ALTAR BOYZ review

Robert Rubin soliquid at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 01:01:00 PDT 2008

I'm never one to usually post something like this, but after seeing the show I did last night at the Beck Center for the Arts in Lakewood, I simply cannot keep quiet about it.

I should preface with the fact that I have seen the off Broadway production of Altar Boyz twice now in NYC, and while I wouldn't consider myself an "Altarholic" I certainly look forward to ending each trip with a little guilty pleasure that is the "Altar Boyz".  I mean who doesn't secretly giggle at the idea of a Christian boyband struggling to save every soul in the audience with NSync syncopated dance moves and "sweet pop music"?

To be honest, I went into the production expecting at best a middle of the road performance, since last I checked I haven't seen many boyband members hanging around the street corners of Lakewood, but last night's opening night performance quite simply blew me away.

The actual stage and technical aspect of the show is jaw dropping.  It's MUCH larger and more intricate than the Off-Broadway production. Besides boasting a full rock band, and a stage that is built around a huge 40-50 foot gleaming white cross which raises to what looks to be 5 or 6 feet tall in the back (and is danced on by the boys) there must be over 150 lights on stage alone.  Don't be fooled, while there is a hilarious script to this show (the Boyz are on the final night of their "Raise the Praise" tour) you are seeing a rock concert, with full concert lighting.  I saw more than I could count, including robotics, spots, specials and what looked to be halogen rack effects.  I can't believe the concession stand had power to operate in the lobby with the wattage that was going onto that stage.  Lighting designer Trad Burns spared no expense here.

The cast was simply incredible.  Director Scott Spence had the vision to find young men who not only were able to dance and sing incredibly well, but who truly bring their diverse characters to life, which is really what makes the show sink or swim.  This includes the leader of the group (Josh Noble, best known as Gaston from the Beck's Beauty & The Beast productions) who was a little more sweet and syrupy than the Matthews I'm used to seeing, but hands down a perfect leading man to the group, the "bad boy" Dan Grgic who could not have played the want-to-be thug Luke more sincere or hilariously, "Juan" the latino lover of the group, played brilliantly by BW student Ryan Jagru who constantly hits on women in the audience, and the odd man out, Jewish boybander Connor O'Brien (coincidentally with the least Jewish sounding name possible) who apparently has some actual boyband experience in MTV's "Making the Band: Season 1" and who brought the 300+ audience
 to total silence with his stunning final song "I Believe".

But sorry boys, the stand out member of the night was the "sensitive one" John Riddle, who almost brought the entire audience to their feet in the middle of the show after his hilariously and amazingly incredible rendition of the show stopping "Epiphany".  Clay Aiken has nothing on this kid, and the show had to literally stop to accommodate his ongoing applause.  It was just incredible.

I only counted about 4 missed steps out of what must have been 1,000 dance moves (A big kudos to the Beck for taking what might seem like an odd choice in Verb Ballet choreographer Hernando Cortez for a show based around pop and locking and upside down headstands.)  I don't know how it worked but it did, really well, and these guys dance way more than the NYC casts I have seen.  All while singing incredible harmony (when they can breathe)

Bottom line, people need to know about this show.  I'm a rarity in that I am aware of it and how energetic and hilarious it is. Most people I know have never heard of it.  You only have 5 weekends to catch it and I just think it would be an enormous shame for the members of this list to miss out on something so new (I believe this is a regional premiere?) so different, and so damn good.  Seriously, do yourself a favor and catch it before it's gone.  I promise you'll be glad you did.