[NEohioPAL] Personal note on Beck's ALTAR BOYZ

Jim McCormack jimmccormack at roadrunner.com
Sun Aug 3 09:24:15 PDT 2008

I had the most wonderful time Friday night watching/taking part in Altar
Boyz.

The set/lights were a visual feast!  Trad A Burns more than earned his
fee for this one. The band kicked ass, took names and was as
relentlessly excellent as any band I've heard in my over ten years of
working & seeing work at Beck.  The sound was superb (note: sound
designer Richard B. Ingraham is my son-in-law) but we know what a
challenge sound can be in the Mackey main-stage space.  Karen
Langenwalter ran the sound board like Bach on an organ.

Jenniver Sparano's costumes were superb.  I especially enjoyed the white
shirt with the menorah on Connor.  My compliments to Jenniver, Curt
Arnold and the whole crew.  The ALTAR BOYZ tees for the band and the
crew was a nice touch. Hernando Cortez's choreography was over the top
in a very positive and organic way.

Did I say ORGANIC?!  Josh, John (!!), Dan, Ryan and Connor worked SO
WELL together.  There were moments when my suspension of disbelief that
this was, in fact,  scripted kicked in.  I know damn well the amount of
work that went into this.  Every one at Beck involved in this little
pastiche deserve the high praise they've received from "regular"
critical personnel\(yup, it was slick, slick, slick).  Martin Savidge's
VO contribution was a hoot!

ALTAR BOYZ deserves a full house every night. Do yourself a favor and go
enjoy; it's worth your time & ticket. Nice work.

Jim McCormack