[NEohioPAL] I need legal advice over a small issue

Leigh Angela lovetolaugh at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 5 08:11:58 PDT 2008

Does anyone know where I can go to get advice over a small matter?

I recently moved and wanted to transfer my AT&T DSL service over to my new address, but when I called to do so I was told DSL is not available at my new address. I asked them if I would be charged an early termination fee and the person on the phone asked someone, then came back and said "No, you shouldn't."

Of course I was charged a $50 early termination fee. With credits to my account for unused services, I owed $31 of that. I called the Internet department and a nice man told me he reversed the fee and I would get a check for $18 to make up the difference.

As I sat here waiting for my check, I got a notice saying I would be sent to collections if I didn't pay the fee.  I called customer service and this time was treated like I had done something wrong.  The fee is correct, they said, because I broke the contract. I asked if she saw in my account that I would be told I didn't have to pay. She looked and said "Yes, they told you you would get a credit. That's another department. I'm in THIS department, and I'm telling you the fee is correct."

Obviously this isn't a black and white issue.  It was not my choice to break the contract.  I asked to speak to a manager, and one is supposed to call me today. I will be sent to collections if I don't pay by August 9th they say.  So far I've filed a complaint with the FTC and contacted the Money Matters columnist at the Plain Dealer.  Does anyone know what else I can/should do?  I hate to go to collections over $31, but I hate to pay as well.

thank you,
Leigh Peterson