[NEohioPAL] OF THEE I SING Auditions

James Harris jharris at hlcommunications.com
Wed Aug 6 10:45:01 PDT 2008

Gates Mills Players has scheduled the musical OF THEE I SING! by and George
S Kaufman and Morrie Ryskind with music by George and Ira Gershwin for
November 14, 15, 21 and 22 at the Gates Mills Community House on Chagrin
River Road in Gates Mills.

This witty satire won the Pulitzer Prize in 1931 and is a wonderfully silly
send-up of Presidential Politics, a very appropriate topic indeed.  Think of
it as “The Marx Brothers meets Gilbert & Sullivan”  since it owes quite a
bit to Iolanthe and Trial By Jury, and it definitely influenced Ducksoup (R
& K also wrote other Marx Brothers hits).  You can find a plot synopsis, etc
in Wikipedia or by googling Of Thee I Sing.

The Gates Mills Players welcomes local actors and actresses to audition for
it, and particularly welcomes active thespians from surrounding community
theaters in Geauga County and Cleveland’s East Side.  Rehearsals are
scheduled for 3 times per week starting in early September.

Many parts are still open: the two female leads (Mary Turner and Diana
Devereaux, both sopranos in their 20s) as well as the song-and-dance team of
Miss Benson and Sam Jenkins (originally played by George Murphy) are among
those parts uncast.

If you would like to schedule an audition or are interested generally in
becoming a member of the Gates Mills Players, please contact James Harris at
440.729.1426 or email jharris at hlcommunications.com.