[NEohioPAL] Send in your proposal for Little Box at CPT!

Mindy Herman MHerman at cptonline.org
Fri Aug 8 08:04:28 PDT 2008

Cleveland Public Theatre is now accepting proposals for

Little Box

October 23 - November 2, 2008

Now in its second season, Little Box is designed to help directors and
writers in developing new work, by providing a forum for full length
readings of new plays.

Little Box is modeled on CPT's successful Big [BOX] series.  As with Big
[BOX], we are seeking artists who have the ability to carry a project
through to production, but Little Box is on a smaller scale. Little Box
offers an opportunity to develop and perform a full length staged
reading in the James Levin Theatre for one night.

Unlike typical play-reading series CPT does not provide director and
actors. CPT leaves these production decisions up to the applying
artists.

Little Box Details

CPT will select eight or more projects to be part of Little Box. We are
especially interested in projects with two primary artists: a playwright
and a director. However we will consider projects with only a playwright
if we feel that the playwright has the capability to carry the project
through to completion, or we may help link playwrights to directors.

Each project will be given two rehearsals prior to the performance date
(not necessarily in the theatre itself) and a full day in the theatre on
the day of the show. Each project will have a single showing of their
work. The showing can be followed by a post-show discussion facilitated
by a moderator if desired.

CPT provides a stage manager, as well as box office and house management
staff. It is up to each artist to provide their own artistic
collaborators (including actors) and any additional technical staff
needed.

Little Box is about developing new work, trying things out, gauging
reactions and getting feedback from audience members. We are expecting
book-in-hand, staged readings, with little or no set. There will be a
minimal lighting plot.

Each team will be provided a small honorarium of $120.

We will send out a general press release for the series and include
mention of Little Box in other mailings.  Artists will have access to
CPT's copy machine and a template will be provided for making individual
flyers and programs. Since the work being done is in development, there
will be no critics invited by CPT.

Little Box Selection

In selecting works for this series we look at a number of factors:

Production Potential

Can the team produce the proposed work? We want to feel confident that
the team has a clear understanding of what it takes to pull off a show.
Even a staged reading requires attention and knowledge to do it well.

Script Potential

We are not looking for masterpieces, but we are looking for work that we
see has the potential for excellence. We may give slight preference to
work that might be closer to our typical season programming, but we are
primarily interested in providing a venue for local work.

Potential Impact

Does this work merit a staged reading? Will it benefit from a staged
reading? Some plays may be great, but are really ready for full
production. Others may be too early in the development stage.

Little Box, The Dark Room, Big [BOX] and the Season

We continue to seek ways to develop new and local work at different
points in the development process. This is how we currently see Little
Box functioning with the existing programs:

The Season: CPT is always looking out for great projects and interesting
artists. We hope that this process helps us get to know new friends and
to learn more about the artists with whom we are familiar.

Big [BOX]: Big [BOX] is for more developed pieces. Submission deadline
has passed for this year.

The Dark Room: Partnering with Cleveland Theatre Collective, CPT
presents The Dark Room every month. A continuing effort to develop local
writers and their work, The Dark Room specializes in excerpts of work,
not full productions. The Dark Room is a good first step in developing
new work.

Applying

If you would like to be considered for the 2008 Little Box Series,
please fill out the attached application form or you can email an
application request to bwood at cptonline.org.  You can also download
application materials as a PDF by visiting
http://cptonline.org/news-article-view.php?id=28

Deadline for submissions is September 12, 2008.

Deadline: September 12, 2008

Thank you for your interest in Little Box. Please complete the
application and submit it with your supplemental materials and a script
to: Attn: Little Box, Cleveland Public Theatre, 6415 Detroit Avenue,
Cleveland OH  44102

Primary Artist #1 (will also serve as primary contact)

Name: ____________________________________

Title: (playwright, director, etc) ____________________________________

Address_________________________________________________________________
___

Phone________________ Cell________________ E-Mail________________

Primary Artist #2

Name: ____________________________________

Title: (playwright, director, etc) ____________________________________

Address_________________________________________________________________
___

Phone________________ Cell________________ E-Mail________________

Title of Work/Show

Attach up to two sheets for the following:

1) Brief play synopsis.

2) How will Little Box help you as an artist and the growth of the
project?

3) Brief background of artists (or attach resume)

Supplementary Materials: Include any additional information to support
your application including resume, bio, artistic statement, etc.

Work Sample: Please include most recent version of the script.

Mindy Herman

Communications Director

Cleveland Public Theatre

6415 Detroit Ave.