[NEohioPAL] This Week at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music

Marci Janas marci.janas at oberlin.edu
Thu Sep 4 08:40:56 PDT 2008

To all of my friends in the media....hello!

Welcome to the start of the 2008-09 concert and recital season at the
Oberlin Conservatory of Music, where you (and by you I also mean your
readers, listeners, and viewers) can enjoy more than 400 events—and most of
them are free.

You can also hear members of the Conservatory faculty and their talented
students at venues beyond Oberlin. If you were in Detroit over the Labor Day
weekend, you might have caught the Oberlin Jazz
Septet<http://www.oberlin.edu/con/divinfo/jazz/OJS/0809.html>performing
at the Detroit Jazz Festival.

If jazz is your thing and you couldn't make it to Detroit, you'll want to
know about an event at the City of Cleveland's Rockefeller Park Greenhouse
this Saturday, September 6.

The Jazz Heritage Orchestra Quintet, featuring Oberlin Associate Professor
of Jazz Guitar Bob
Ferrazza,<http://www.oberlin.edu/con/faculty/ferrazza_bob.html>performs
at the Sixth Annual JAZZ at the Rockefeller Greenhouse. The free
concert begins at 1 p.m.
Call 216-664-3103 for more information.

Next Friday, September 12, is the final opportunity to receive substantial
discounts on subscriptions to Oberlin's Artist Recital
Series<http://www2.oberlin.edu/artsguide/artist-recital-series/>.
Call 1-800-371-0178 for more information.

Find out about other exciting events at Oberlin by visiting the Oberlin Arts
Guide <http://www2.oberlin.edu/artsguide/> and Oberlin Events Showcase
<http://www.oberlin.edu/events/showcase/>web sites.

And, to catch up on news you might have missed over the summer, visit
www.oberlin.edu/con. Here's an example of what you'll find there:

*Construction Begins on Phyllis Litoff Building, Oberlin's New Home For Jazz
Studies*
On August 8, 2008, construction on the environmentally innovative Phyllis
Litoff Building began in earnest . The project is expected to take 14 months
to complete. Plans are for the building to open during fall semester 2009,
and arrangements are being made for a gala dedication ceremony and grand
opening. Besides housing Oberlin's renowned Jazz Studies Department and a
world-class recording studio, the Litoff Building will also provide a
vibrant archive for the largest privately held jazz recording collection in
America.

Full Story ><http://www.oberlin.edu/con/bkstage/200807/litoffconstruction.html>

I hope you find the information in this digest useful as you plan your
coverage. If I can help you with additional information or photos,
please let me know.

All the best,
Marci
--
Marci Janas
Director of Conservatory Media Relations
marci.janas at oberlin.edu