[NEohioPAL] Review of the Alex Skolnick Trio at Wilbert's

Al Diamond Phillips alitivity at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 23:30:43 PDT 2008

It is no secret to those who know me, that my favorite guitarist is Alex Skolnick. I am truly mesmerized by his talent and ability to play. He has a captivating style that makes you explore another side of music. What makes this funny is that I am not a guitar player, but a singer. However, his love for jazz and his passion for playing it has made me a true fan. As I watched the Alex Skolnick Trio tonight at Wilbert’s Food and Music, in Cleveland, I began to realize that this group is more than just Alex. He is certainly at the helm, but the Rhythm section is much more than just bit players in the Skolnick experience.

Nathan Peck is a master of the Bass. Most people like me look at the bass as strictly a Rhythm instrument. There have been a few exceptional Bass Players that have taken the instrument into a lead position, but seem to lose the qualities that make the Bass Guitar what it is. Nathan takes his ability to play, and leads you into a direction that you may not have imagined with the song. You sometimes find yourself wondering why his progression is heading a certain way. Then suddenly, it all makes sense. His artistic feel is different than any other Bass Player I am familiar with. That in itself makes him special.

Matt Zebroski is quickly becoming one of my favorite Drummers, in any genre. He has the perfect feel for jazz, with the ability to Rock it up at any moment. His technique is flawless. There were times tonight when his hands were moving so fast; they were just a blur, somehow keeping it all together in the grand scheme. The personality he shows when playing is reminiscent of the great drummers of days gone by. It is not hard to figure out how he got his job, and why he deserves the position.

As I sat and watched the show with excitement for every song played, I asked myself “how does a legitimate Guitar Hero go from Heavy Metal icon to Jazz Trio, and make it work”. The answer was right there in front of me, Nathan and Matt. It is the cohesiveness between the three that makes it all work. This band is not confined to jazz fans alone. They are creating jazz fans from other genres, and people from young to old. From seven to seventy, there were people from all age groups represented at the show. They all had one thing in common an appreciation of good music, and the Trio delivered.

Another thing that this group does well is its selection of venue. Wilbert’s is not a big place, but has an apparent history to it when you walk in. It just feels like this is the place you should see a band like this. They treat their customers well, and it shows. This is the second Skolnick Trio show that I have seen at Wilbert’s and both times I have had a wonderful experience. For anyone who is looking for a great way to spend an evening, I would suggest watching for the next Alex Skolnick Trio show at Wilbert’s, and take the whole family. You won’t be disappointed.

To learn more about the Alex Skolnick Trio go to www.alexskolnick.com