[NEohioPAL] Auditions for Seussical at Fine Arts

Wanda Wareham WWareham at FineArtsAssociation.org
Thu Sep 11 15:14:17 PDT 2008

The Fine Arts Association

announces auditions for

Seussical

Music by Stephen Flaherty
Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens
Book by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty
Co-conceived by Lynn Ahrens, Stephen Flaherty and Eric Idle
Based on the works of Dr. Seuss

Directed & Choreographed by Pierre-Jacques Brault
Music Directed by Lori Ann Elias

Auditions Dates
Sunday, October 5, 2008 - beginning at 1 p.m. in Room 212
Monday, October 6, 2008 - beginning at 6:30 p.m. in Corning Auditorium

at The Fine Arts Association
38660 Mentor Avenue, Willoughby, Ohio 44094

Requirements
Appointment Needed
Call Ann Hedger at 440-951-7500 x103 to sign up for an appointment
- Come prepared with a short song.
- Bring sheet music in the proper key.
- An accompanist will be provided.

Casting Information
No AEA contracts are available for this production.

Needed:   Cast of approximately 40 actors, ages 8 through adult

Seeking larger than life characters that can "pop and lock" and "belt"
like the best of them.
Many roles in the show will be doubled. All ethnicities are strongly
encouraged to attend.

Roles available:
Cat in the Hat: Our Narrator on the journey into Seuss. Looking for a
physically adept actor (male or female) to play the Cat, one who will be
able to play many comic cameos and is comfortable improvising with an
audience. Also Doubles as General Schmitz and Yertle the Turtle
Horton the Elephant: Our hero of the story
Jo Jo: Boy age 10 to 13 who has great imagination and strong belt voice.
"A Thinker"
Gertrude McFuzz: Awkward, Gawky and special
Mayzie La Bird: Sexy Bird of the town
3 Bird Girls: Do Wop is back in fashion with these three ladies
Mayor of Whoville: Typical Father of Jo Jo
Mayor's Wife: Typical Mother of Jo Jo
Sour Kangaroo: Some say she is an Aretha Franklin Double
Wickersham Brothers: Sexy, up to no good, dudes
Thing 1 and Thing Two: Helpers of the Cat
Cat Helpers: Crazy, Zany Helpers who play multiple characters in the
story.

Rehearsals Begin
Monday, October 20.  Rehearsals will be Sunday thru Thursdays.

Performance Dates
November 28-December 21, 2008

in the Corning Auditorium at The Fine Arts Association
38660 Mentor Avenue, Willoughby, Ohio   44094

About the show:
"I can see that you've got quite a mind for your age!
Why, one Think and you dragged me right onto the stage!
Now, I'm here, there is no telling what may ensue
With a Cat such as me, and a Thinker like you!"

So says the mischievous Cat in the Hat at the onset of this fantastical,
magical, musical extravaganza! Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Lucky
Stiff, My Favorite Year, Once on This Island, and Ragtime) have lovingly
brought to life all of our favorite Dr. Seuss characters, including
Horton the Elephant, Gertrude McFuzz, Lazy Mayzie and all of the Whos of
Whoville!  These classic, colorful tales are seamlessly brought together
by Jojo, a young boy and "thinker of strange and wonderful thinks"! As
each story unfolds you will marvel at how relevant and profound Seuss's
subtle themes are; making this musical one that will appeal to all ages.
The score emerges as a Seussian gumbo of musical styles, ranging from
Latin to pop, swing to gospel, and R&B to funk! So let your toes tap,
your fingers snap, and your imagination run wild.

......Music Theatre International