[NEohioPAL] Copyright law -Orphan Works Bill, please read

Liz Huff lizlaughs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 06:58:48 PDT 2008

  [image: THE CAGLE POST] <http://caglepost.com/>
Would you like to reprint our cartoons on your site or in your publication?
It's easy! Visit us here <http://politicalcartoons.com/>.
*HELP, PLEASE HELP*
I'd like to ask our readers to help our cartoonists with an urgent problem. We
are asking you to send an email on behalf of the
cartoonists<http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321>.
The Senate just passed the "Orphan Works Bill," quickly, behind closed doors
and without a vote, through a controversial practice known as "hotlining."
The bill rewrites the copyright law in ways that are devastating to
cartoonists, artists, writers, photographers and songwriters.
The two artists organizations I'm active in, the National Cartoonists
Society and the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists, and dozens of
other trade organizations<http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php?searchterm=00273>,
are urging their members to write to their congressmen at this hour, because
there is a risk that the House will pass the Senate version of the bill,
again without debate and without a vote, by adding it to a larger budget or
bailout bill at the end of the current session, in the next few hours.
The Orphan Works bill is being pushed by Google, which plans to catalogue
millions of images and doesn't want to deal with the rights of copyright
holders. The bill will make it easy for anyone to reprint copyrighted work,
without the permission of the copyright holder, and artists will find that
it is difficult or impossible to control where their work is reprinted. The
bill also imposes new costs and procedures on artists, all to benefit
Google.
I'd like to ask everyone who reads my blog, or subscribes to my newsletter,
to do the cartoonists a favor by emailing their congressman and asking him
or her to oppose the Orphan Works Bill now, by visiting this web
site<http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/issues/alert/?alertid=11980321>,
which helps you to send an automatic email to your congressman. It is quick
and easy to send this email, and it would be much appreciated by the
desperate cartoonists.
To learn more about the Orphan Works Bill, visit
here<http://www.illustratorspartnership.org/01_topics/article.php?searchterm=00185>
.
I've never asked my readers for help before. I'd really appreciate your help
now.
Many thanks,
Daryl

** <http://caglepost.com/ticker.aspx>