[NEohioPAL] save our lake!!

rebekka willow janedoe963 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:58:46 PDT 2008

Let's just get it out of the way that this posting is not directly related
to the arts.  So, if you are just so thoroughly intent on sending me hate
email, I will encourage you to put your energies to more productive use.
Namely...

Below is the press release from the Ohio EPA re: a proposal by FirstEnergy
that they be allowed to increase the amount of mercury and copper that they
pump into Lake Erie because they don't want to pay to update their
facilities.  I hope everyone will take a moment to contact the Ohio EPA and
let them no that the people of this region give much value to our greatest
natural resource and are not interested in increased amounts of mercury in
our lake.  The public presentation has already occured, but the period of
public comment has been extended until 11.07.08, due to the good work of
some local activists.

Just please remember, nobody will be doing much dancing, singing, acting or
playing on any stages anywhere around here if we have no water to drink.

For Release:            September 23, 2008
Media Contact:          Mike Settles, (614) 644-2160
Citizen Contact:        Caroline Markworth, (614) 644-2160

Public Invited to Comment on Permit Modifications
for FirstEnergy Lake Shore Plant in Cleveland

Ohio EPA has scheduled an October 2, 2008, public meeting in
Cleveland to discuss proposed modifications to the
FirstEnergy Lake Shore Plant's wastewater discharge permit.
The information session and public hearing will begin at 6
p.m. at the Goodrich-Gannett Neighborhood Center, 1368 East
55th Street in Cleveland.

FirstEnergy is requesting Ohio EPA approval for two permit
modifications related to wastewater discharges of mercury
and copper at its facility located at 6800 Marginal Road in
Cleveland.

The Lake Shore Plant's mercury discharge to Lake Erie
averages 2.9 parts per trillion (ppt), higher than the 1.3
ppt average concentration limit required in its existing
permit. To achieve the 1.3 ppt discharge limit, the facility
would have to install extremely costly technology that would
result in a substantial economic impact to the company. Ohio
EPA has evaluated the cost and benefit of this approach and
determined that a more effective way to lower the mercury
impact is to reduce the amount of mercury being put into the
wastewater system. Therefore, in order to receive a variance
from the mercury limit, FirstEnergy would be required to
identify the sources of mercury that go to its plant and
take steps to minimize the mercury releases from those
sources.

The proposed modification for copper would allow the
facility to use a different method for calculating allowable
discharges. If approved, the modification would not increase
the amount of copper discharged to Lake Erie.

Comments on the proposed permit modifications may be
presented at the hearing or submitted in writing to: Ohio
EPA, Division of Surface Water, Permits Processing Unit,
P.O. Box 1049, Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049. The public comment
period ends October 9, 2008.

The application and related materials are available for
review by calling 614/644-2001.

Thanks,
Stefanie

EarthWatch Ohio
Stefanie Spear
P.O. Box 213
Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
216/387-1609

<www.earthwatchohio.org>

--
Total consumer non-confidence must be the cornerstone of a new,
non-profitable economy.