[NEohioPAL] From Chinese Acrobats to Irving Berlin This Week At Stocker Arts Center

Janet Barlow jbarlow at lorainccc.edu
Mon Oct 13 15:22:19 PDT 2008

>From the Shangri-La Chinese Acrobats to "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," to Russian Miniature Boxes, to Irving Berlin's "I Love A Piano," and an amazing film...We have it all at Stocker Arts Center this week, and we hope you'll join us!  Here are the details:

Tomorrow night, Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 7:00pm
Shangri-La Chinese Acrobats - TAKE A CHANCE!*
Tickets: $15/Adults; $10/Children 12 and under.

The SHANGRI-LA CHINESE ACROBATS have been called "incredible," "breathtaking," "stunning," and "quite unbelievable," to quote just a few of the critics. Their show offers more than a glimpse into the fascinating Orient.
(to learn more, go to http://www.lorainccc.edu/Stocker+Arts+Center/RandomActsSeries.htm)

TAKE A CHANCE!* - Any remaining tickets for this event will be sold at the Box Office for ½ price (off the adult ticket price) beginning at 5:30pm tomorrow night!

Thursday, October 16, 2008 at 9:45am & 11:45am
The Boy Who Cried Wolf
Tickets: $4/each

What if no one believed what you told them, even if it was the truth? Find out what happens when a little boy learns an important lesson about integrity, honesty, and the consequences of "crying wolf." (to learn more, go to http://www.lorainccc.edu/Stocker+Arts+Center/stmat.htm)

Friday, October 17, 2008 at 7:30pm
LCCC Film Society presents
"The Visitor"
2008  (PG-13)  103 min.  USA     Director: Tom McCarthy            Cast: Richard Jenkins, Haaz Sleiman

In a world of six billion people, it only takes one person to change your life. In actor/filmmaker Tom McCarthy's follow-up to his award winning directorial debut THE STATION AGENT, Richard Jenkins stars as a disillusioned Connecticut economics professor whose life is transformed by a chance encounter in New York City.  (to learn more, go to http://www.lorainccc.edu/Stocker+Arts+Center/fss.htm)

Admission
To attend a film, you must be a Film Series member (cost $3, good for the entire season - September through May).  Films: $5/ticket with your membership card.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 7:30pm

I Love A Piano

Tickets: $34/Orchestra; $27/Mezzanine.  NEOhioPAL SUBSCRIBERS SPECIAL:  BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE!  (Just bring a copy of this email to the box office with you to take advantage of this offer for I Love A Piano this coming Sunday!)

I Love A Piano is a nostalgic view of American life as seen through the eyes of America's greatest and most prolific composer, Irving Berlin - a man who Jerome Kern described by saying "Irving Berlin has no place in American music...He is American Music!" Sing along with 64 of Berlin's enduring and popular favorites.

(to learn more, go to http://www.lorainccc.edu/Stocker+Arts+Center/RandomActsSeries.htm)

While you're here at other events don't miss seeing what's in the
BETH K. STOCKER ART GALLERY

Opening this Week (Through Sunday, November 16, 2008) - FREE
SMALL WONDERS: Russian Lacquered Miniatures and Eastern Orthodox Icons

Co-sponsored by Stocker Arts Center, Lorain County Sacred Landmarks Initiative and Cleveland State University Center for Sacred Landmarks
Opening Weekend Exhibition Special Events

Friday, October 17

Opening Reception  from 4-7pm

A Russian Cultural Celebration featuring Music, Dance and Food

Gallery Talk by Virginia Waratinsky-5pm

   "Histories, Stories &Traditions of Russian Lacquered Miniature Art"

Saturday, October 18

Gallery  open from noon-5pm during LCCC ArtsFest at FamilyFest

Sunday, October 19

Gallery  open from noon-4pm

Gallery Talk by Natasha Mazitova, 1-2pm

     "Creating Masterpieces in Miniature"

Regular Gallery Hours:

Mon - Fri from 10:30 am. to 2:30 pm. and during many of the Stocker Arts Center evening and weekend events.

Gallery tours for classes and groups, and additional hours by appointment.

Call 440-366-4140 for additional information, or visit our website at www.lorainccc.edu/stocker.

Tickets for all Stocker events and movies can be purchased online at www.lorainccc.edu/stocker <http://www.lorainccc.edu/stocker>  as well as at the Stocker Arts Center Box Office, which is open from 12:00 noon to 6:00p.m. Mondays through Fridays and one-and-one-half hours before show time. The Box Office can be reached by calling (800) 995-5222 ext. 4040 or (440) 366-4040.

The Stocker Arts Center is on the campus of Lorain County Community College, 1005 North Abbe Road, Elyria, Ohio  44035.  For further information on the films and other upcoming events and/or directions to Stocker, please call the Box Office or go to www.lorainccc.edu/stocker.

I look forward to welcoming you to the Stocker Arts Center this week!
Janet

Janet Herman Barlow, Director, Stocker Arts Center

Lorain County  Community College

1005 North Abbe Road, Elyria, Ohio  44035

440.366.7105 or 1.800.995.5222 ext. 7105

440.366.4101 [fax]

jbarlow at lorainccc.edu <mailto:jbarlow at lorainccc.edu>

www.lorainccc.edu/stocker <http://www.lorainccc.edu/stocker>