[NEohioPAL] Press Release: New York Times Book Review 10-28-2008

Adrienne Zurub zurub54 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 11:28:08 PDT 2008

*PRESS RELEASE:*

My most recent book, *REFLECTIONS ON DOCTORS* published September 2008 by
Kaplan Publishing was reviewed by The New York Times. An essay from my book,
* **Notes From the Mothership The Naked Invisibles* is one of two dozen
provocative essays.

As *REFLECTIONS ON DOCTORS'* editor Terry Ratner, RN,MFA says, "The nurses
of this anthology represent a spectrum of voices and perspectives,
reflecting upon their work alongside physicians. The majority of these
nurses have witnessed revolutionary changes in the nurse-physician
relationship over time. They are our messengers, our heroes and our
scribes."

The intimate and at times shocking stories in *REFLECTIONS ON DOCTORS* abound
with the honesty of each writer's respect of and concern for the nursing
profession, and the care that patients receive from doctors and fellow
nurses alike. For example, in her fascinating essay, *A Truth about Cats and
Dogs, *Adrienne Zurub, RN, MA, CNOR says of the competitive environment
within the cardiothoracic operating rooms where she has worked, "Arrogance,
entitlement, outstanding talents (nurses and surgeons), and palpable
confidence dominate the entire operating room suites. A nurse pushes herself
or himself through this encompassing fog of testosterone. I say*
 testosterone* because the surgeons, the ones who are in charge, are all
male. To work in this environment, one has to have the personality and the
chutzpah--the balls--to think quickly and react perfectly. Weakness or
hesitation is normally not considered an option."

Many of the essays in *REFLECTIONS ON DOCTORS* provide readers with
clear-cut explanations of various medical terminologies, interesting history
of the nursing profession and glimpses into its future. The diversity of all
the essays is appealing to both new and seasoned nurses, as well as to
someone simply interested in understanding the importance and ever-changing
relationship between nurses and phyicians. Further topping off this
collection of engaging essays is a *reader's guide* designed to, says
Ratner, "stimulate meetings of the minds and begin crucial conversations in
hopes of understanding the nurse-physician relationship."

*REFLECTIONS ON DOCTORS
*
* **Nurses' Stories about Physicians and Surgeons
*
* **Terry Ratner, RN, MFA, Editor*
Kaplan Publishing
September 2008
$14.95 Paperback/ $16.95 Canada
ISBN: 978-I-4277-9825-I/ Nursing

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/health/28book.html?_r=1&ei=5070&emc=eta1&oref=slogin

*WAIT THERE'S MORE1*

10 Blog Posts You Must Read Before You Go Into a Voting Booth in November

Where can you get a real, unvarnished perspective on our healthcare system,
and *fast*?

The 10 Blog Posts—A Pre-November 4 Reading List

Warning: The following posts are innovative, unflinchingly realistic and
even outrageous. Read them as if your life depended upon it. Bookmark or
email them to a friend. Herein lies grassroots politics, real dialog and
idea exchange too easily buried under our current hollow Healthcare
rhetoric:

CLEVELAND'S OWN:  6.  9 months to birthing my
bestseller…<http://adriennezurub.typepad.com/9_months_to_birthing_my_b/2008/09/wtf-healthcare-reform-nurse-union-single-payer-insurance.html>,
posted by Adrienne Zurub in September 2008. Here is a slightly outrageous
and totally irreverent article that rolls together current healthcare reform
and the nursing crisis.

THE OTHER *NINE:*
http://www.onlinenursingdegrees.org/nursingfacts/politics-of-healthcare.htm

--