[NEohioPAL] New book, STANDING AT WATER'S EDGE, helps artists immerse in the creative process

Anne Wessels-Paris awp7.7 at juno.com
Tue Oct 28 12:49:54 PDT 2008

 STANDING AT WATER'S EDGE:
MOVING PAST FEAR, BLOCKS, AND PITFALLS
TO DISCOVER THE POWER OF CREATIVE IMMERSION
Anne Paris
New World Library, 2008

IMMERSE YOURSELF

     Artists and other creative people often get paralyzed in their work
and are unable to start or finish their projects. When this happens, they
often view themselves as lazy, unmotivated, or incompetent.  At last,
here is a book that deeply appreciates the inner world of the artist and
the emotional landscape encountered in the creative process.

Available at major bookstores
or Order Your Copy at
http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Waters-Edge-Pitfalls-Immersion/dp/15773158
98/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223468220&sr=1-1

In Standing at Water’s Edge: Moving Past Fear, Blocks, and Pitfalls to
Discover the Power of Creative Immersion (New World Library, 2008),
psychologist Dr. Anne Paris draws on her extensive experience working
with artists to explore the personal fears that thwart creativity.
Arguing that creative blocks and procrastinations are actually the
artist’s attempts at self-preservation when facing normal psychological
issues inherent in the creative process, Dr. Paris suggests that success
comes from understanding the deep hopes and fears that profoundly
influence creative capacity.

Throughout the book, she focuses on the most challenging part of
creativity — having the courage to fully immerse one’s self in the
artistic state. “To allow immersion requires taking a leap of faith into
uncertainty and vulnerability,” she writes. “Most of us find it
frightening to consider taking this leap into the unknown as our trust in
others, our selves, and the world has been chipped away at (or
traumatically obliterated) in the course of life. To experience the
immersive connection that generates creativity, one most recklessly and
without defense dive into the water, letting go of conscious control and
manipulation.”

Rather than presenting creative immersion as a lonely, solitary endeavor,
Standing at Water’s Edge shows how crucial positive, supportive
relationships with others are to the process.  Dr. Paris describes three
types of relationships that strengthen our psychological core and
encourage us take creative risks:

Ø  Mirrors:  People in our lives who reflect us: they see our strengths,
our uniqueness, and our talents and strengthen us by appreciating what we
have to offer.
Ø  Heroes:  Those we look up to and admire; they inspire us to reach
beyond our safety zones.
Ø  Twins:  People who comfort us by sharing similar struggles and
triumphs.

Her book also explores the important role that childhood experience plays
in creativity and offers specific advice for psychologically navigating
every aspect of a creative project.  She offers the following practical
tips for connecting deeply with creative pursuits:

Make creative immersion the goal. Rather than focusing on production or
performance, focus on having an immersive experience. In other words, if
you reach toward accomplishment, you are keeping your experience on an
external, evaluative plane. Because you are observing yourself and
judging your performance based on external measures, fears of inadequacy
or failure are more likely to surface. By switching your focus to
internal experiences, you are more likely to find a path to your
creativity.
Accept movement in and out of immersion. Know and accept that movement in
and out of immersive states is normal, natural, and all part of the
overall process. Stop blaming and criticizing yourself when you are not
immersed. Disengagement is a necessary part of creation. Because
immersion generates a “new you,” you must periodically step back to
integrate the new experience. Learn to relax and accept that states of
disengagement can be psychologically difficult. Every artist experiences
them; you are not alone.
     3.  Engage in alternate realms of immersion. Experiences of
immersion are strengthening and enhancing no matter where they occur.
Immersion in    artistic pursuits is but one realm of possible immersive
experience. Other  possible realms include intimate relationships,
spirituality, experiencing others’ art, learning, parenting,
psychotherapy, athletic pursuits, and play. When you disengage from
immersion in your artwork--and need regeneration and strengthening-- you
can turn to immersive connection in another realm and experience the
support and comfort there that you need to reenter artistic immersion.

Regardless of which stage of the creative process they are currently
experiencing, Standing at Water’s Edge is sure to offer creative people
the encouragement, support, and inspiration they need to start — and
finish — their greatest projects.

 Reviews
“A must-read for those struggling to let their creative juices flow.”
— John J. Ratey, MD, author of A User’s Guide to the Brain and Spark

“Here’s why you must buy this book: Dr. Paris brilliantly explores how
our fears and blocks prevent us from entering the creative immersion we
all crave.”
— Jennifer Louden, author of The Woman’s Comfort Book and The Life
Organizer

“This book is simply amazing! I love the way it translates powerful
psychological concepts into extremely user-friendly language and applies
them brilliantly to creativity. It is reassuring, encouraging, inspiring
— and immensely creative.”
— Doris Brothers, PhD, author of Toward a Psychology of Uncertainty

“The perfect book if you’re experiencing a dry spell in your creativity—a
step-by-step path to inspiration.”
--Armando Gallo, photographer and member of the Hollywood Foreign
Association board
   Of directors

“Reading this book will reward not only artists but also all those who
desire to express themselves in new ways but do not know how or where to
begin.”
--Anna Ornstein, MD, lecturer in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School,
professor emeriti
   At the University of Cincinnati

About the Author
Anne Paris, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist who has practiced
psychotherapy for 25 years and specializes in helping artists and other
creative people expand their potential. She founded the Cincinnati Center
for Self Psychology, a training and education center for mental-health
professionals. You can contact her at anne at anneparis.com.  For additional
information, video, interview, forum, and more, visit her website at
www.anneparis.com.

STANDING AT WATER’S EDGE by Anne Paris, Ph.D.
June 1, 2008 • Trade Paperback • 192 pages
Price: $13.95 • ISBN 978-1-57731-589-6