[NEohioPAL] Revised: Auditions for Thomas Gibbons final "race trilogy" chapter A HOUSE WITH NO WALLS at Karamu on November 15th & 16th

performingarts at karamu.com performingarts at karamu.com
Thu Nov 13 05:05:24 PST 2008

AUDITIONS...

Thomas Gibbons A HOUSE WITH NO WALLS, the fourth production in the
historical Karamu House 2008/09 season of "L'il Night Music..." will be
holding auditions on Nov. 15th & 16th. We are proud to announce that our
theatre is one of the few-non-union or union-in the country that will have
completed Thomas Gibbons critically acclaimed "race trilogy."

A HOUSE WITH NO WALLS (Drama-Midwest Premiere)
By Thomas Gibbons
January 23 – February 15, 2009 (Arena)
Previews are Jan. 21st & 22nd.
Director: Terrence Spivey

A bitter public battle erupts when it is revealed that the site of a new
museum enshrining American liberty is the ground on which George
Washington's slaves' house once stood. An African-American political
activist, Salif Camara, occupies the site, demanding that the house be
recreated as a reminder of the reality of slavery in our history and a
memorial to the slaves' lives. He is opposed by a controversial
African-American conservative author,Cadence Lane, who argues that blacks
must lay aside their pursuit of victimhood if they are to achieve true
equality. Their conflict is juxtaposed against the story of Oney Judge,
one of Washington's slaves, as she struggles with the decision of whether
to risk everything to escape her bondage. Moving in time between the
present and the past, the play explores our relationship to troubling
historical reality. How do we decide which elements of our history will be
commemorated and which will be forgotten?

CAST OF CHARACTERS:

Oney Judge- African American, early 20's, female
Cadence Lane- African American, mid 30's, female ("Condoleezza Rice" type)
Salif Camara- African American, 50s-60's, male (Part Cast)
Allen Rosen- White, mid 30's, male
Park Ranger- White, 60's, male
Austin Judge- African American, mid 20's, male
Steve Gardner- White, 60's, male
Tobias Humphreys- White, early 30's, male
Jacob Easton- African American, mid 40's, male
"George Washington,"- White, 60's, male

Time: The present and 1796-1797
Setting: Various locations in Philadelphia

AUDITION DATES:
Saturday, November 15th @ 5pm-7:30pm (Karamu Concert Hall)
Sunday, November 16th @ 12noon - 2:30pm (Karamu Concert Hall)

CallBack Dates:
Wednesday, November 19th @ 6pm (Karamu Concert Hall)

Please prepare a 2-3 minute monologue and you will also read
sides from the script.

Rehearsals began week of December 1st.
NO REHEARSALS during Christmas Holiday Week of Dec. 22nd

Director: Terrence Spivey
Stage Manager: Geri Harris
Technical Director: Richard Morris, Jr.
Set Design: John Konopka
Light/Sound Design: Richard Morris, Jr.

This a non-union production. Actors will be paid.
Equity actors are still encouraged to attend.

Below are the first two Thomas Gibbons "race plays" produced at Karamu.

2003/04 "Season of the Woman"
"bee-luther-hatchee"
"A powerful, provocative piece of theatrical writing. You want to run down
the street twisting people's arms to see it."
--Linda Eisenstein, Cleveland Plain Dealer

2006/07 Season of "Speaking the Gospel in Black and White"
"Permanent Collection"
Terrence Spivey's cogent production plays to Gibbons' strengths. In
particular, the director has corralled one of Karamu's most evenly able
casts in recent memory.
--James Damico, Free Times

Karamu House
2355 East 89th Street