[NEohioPAL] Roxy's Newsletter - November 20, 2008

Debbie Born roxysreads at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 17:53:51 PST 2008

November 20, 2008
Greetings, Roxy's Reader!

A Day Late and A Dollar Sale

Actually, it’s a 99 cent sale. And it’s at Roxy’s,  Thanksgiving weekend. Most books will be 99
cents. And the store will be open on Sunday, from 11
to 4 pm. We’re blowing out as much as
we can so that we can make room for more books. Get ready for some long winter
evenings by stocking up on lots of good things to read. And books make GREAT gifts!

In addition, artist Mike Leuszler will be offering special
discounts on some of his artwork and commission orders that weekend. Caricature
and artwork commissions ordered that weekend will be discounted and available
for holiday gift giving. Mike will also have gift certificates available.

It should be noted that most of Mike’s commissions can be
easily framed, DIY-style, with pre-cut mattes and frames available locally. Ask
Mike for details.

So remember, Friday November 28 from 11 to 7 pm,
Saturday November 29, and Sunday November 30th from 11 am to 4 pm,
99 cent books and an art sale! Double punches on your Roxy’s card for book
purchases over 10 dollars. WHAT A BARGAIN!

A Day Late

Unfortunately, I’ve been suffering from an eye-related
malady (No, not Pinkeye, thank goodness) and that’s why the newsletter didn’t
go out on Wednesday as it has been. I feel much better now, thanks to modern
medicine. I hope I didn’t scare anyone with the sunglasses that I wore at the
store on Thursday, but my eyes were still somewhat light sensitive.

Trivia Question

Twilight, the
latest movie to come from a book is written by a) A real-life vampire, b) A
Mormon, or C) Joe the Plumber? The answer is at the end of the newsletter.

Order your copy of Watchmen
now!

Watchmen is a
graphic novel, originally presented in a 12 issue limited series by DC Comics,
that was, according to many, the greatest story ever told in comics. And for
over 20 years, many have claimed that it would never translate to film. Well,
on 03-06-09, or March 6th
of next year, we’ll find out if 300
director Zak Snyder has done the impossible.

Personally, I first picked up the series as it originally
came out in the comics installments, and I still recommend it to anyone that I
can, as an example of great comics storytelling. Before you go see the movie,
come on in to the store and order a copy of this wonderful work by Alan Moore, writer
of some of the greatest comics ever, and artist Dave Gibbons.

You should always read the book before seeing the movie,
right?

Have you ordered Tales
of Beedle the Bard Yet?

Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot. You’re rolling in money, would like
to drive to some snooty mall bookstore, and fight the crowds of screaming girls
and women when the book is released at midnight.
Forgive me.

I thought you might want to save almost two bucks, attend a
nice local book release party at a pleasant local bookstore, and save yourself
a lot of driving. And not put up with crowds of… well… you know.

Get in the store now. Order the book. Save some cash. Get it
the moment it’s legally available, and come to the release party on December 4.
It’ll be a hoot.

Yes, that was an owl joke.

Don’t Forget!

November 28 - 30:
Thanksgiving Double Punch Event. You can wake up at some obscene hour and fight
the crowds at the mall, or you can come in after 11
 am and browse our shelves in a friendly quiet atmosphere. 99 cent
books. Discounts on original art by Mike Leuszler. Hoo hah!

December 4 @ 12 am, Midnight: New J.K.
Rowling/Harry Potter book release party. JK Rowling expands the Harry Potter
universe with a new original book. You can pre-order here at the store and pick
up the book the very minute it’s officially released. And chances are, you
won’t have to drive as far to get home after we celebrate at the store!

Don’t forget to visit our website, which is www.RoxysReads.net.

We’re open Monday through Friday 11 am to 7 pm, Saturday 11 am
 to 4 pm, and we’re closed Sunday.

Mike Leuszler (with the
help of Kathy Whitmore)

Soon to be Manager

Roxy’s Reads

The answer to the trivia question is B. Twilight author Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon.

Roxy's Reads and Remnants
Your Independent Book Store
Books, Gifts & Surprises
132 Park Avenue, Amherst, OH 44001