[NEohioPAL] From the New York Times; straight shows down, musical theatre up

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 19:57:46 PST 2008

Jeez, don't get me started. No disrespect to musical plays of actual honesty
and substance, but this trend (a trend with a fraternal twin in the
film-going population - ask John Ewing at the Cinémathèque) would seem to me
merely a symptomatic eddy of the larger tidal shift, in the last 50-60
years, as pop culture moves from the juvenile periphery to the adult center
of our culture as a whole. We all know that it's harder and harder to get
folk to sit still at a live theatre performance, accustomed as they are to
the rapid jolts of TV and garbage-y movies, and what tends to draw them in,
if they do come, is...well, let's just leave it at Easy Access - which,
let's be frank, is what most musicals provide.

I'll stop.

Ho ho ho, everybody. Stay safe on New Year's Eve.

RHH