[NEohioPAL] Official Release - International Showcase of Performing Arts for Youth

Cindi Szymanski Cindi at playhousesquare.org
Tue Jan 13 06:46:14 PST 2009

INTERNATIONAL SHOWCASE OF PERFORMING ARTS FOR YOUTH RETURNS TO PLAYHOUSESQUARE

JANUARY 21-24, 2009

Cleveland, OH - International Performing Arts for Youth (IPAY) has selected PlayhouseSquare as the conference host for the 2009 International Showcase of Performing Arts for Youth (Showcase).  Held annually in major cities throughout North America, Showcase is the only conference in the country that is dedicated entirely to live arts programming for youth.

IPAY and Showcase play a critical role in supporting artists and the performing arts centers and school districts who present them.  2008 keynote speaker Julie Andrews elocuted, "I firmly believe that providing young people with excellent, innovative arts and literacy programs is the key to growing compassionate, contributive citizens of the future - men and women who can transcend the challenges of our time and preserve the grace and health of our planet. IPAY represents the finest young audience presenters, performing artists and educators, which puts them at the forefront of this important effort."

"We look forward to returning to Cleveland for Showcase 2009.  The staff is experienced in hosting this conference, the technical support for the artists is top-notch, the theaters are beautiful and the city is a most gracious host for all of our national and international guests," stated Daniel Student, administrative director of IPAY.

PlayhouseSquare hosted Showcase in 2005 and 2007, both of which brought more than 350 presenters, artists, educators and exhibitors from around the world to Cleveland.  From this experience, the Arts Education Department at PlayhouseSquare created a manual for hosting the conference which has been used by the Annenberg Center in Philadelphia and by the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center.

"We are pleased that Showcase will return to PlayhouseSquare in 2009," said Art Falco, president and CEO of PlayhouseSquare.  "It is an honor to host this conference of international magnitude, and to welcome performing artists, presenters and arts educators from across the globe to our facilities and to downtown Cleveland for four days."  Showcase 2009 will be held in PlayhouseSquare's theaters and in the Idea Center at PlayhouseSquare.

The Arts Education Department at PlayhouseSquare will manage the logistics for Showcase 2009.  "It is a lot of work, but it's also very exciting to bring so many different people together who are all committed to presenting the best in arts education programming and youth theater," explained Colleen Porter, director of arts education at PlayhouseSquare and vice president of programming for IPAY.

It is expected that Showcase 2009 will have economic benefits for downtown Cleveland with several hundred attendees booking hotel rooms, dining in local restaurants, using business services and enjoying entertainment.  Attendees travel to the conference from across North America, the United Kingdom and from countries such as The Netherlands, Germany, France, Denmark, Belgium, Australia and Iceland.

About IPAY

The mission of International Performing Arts for Youth (IPAY) is to create professional and educational opportunities supporting meaningful performing arts experiences for young audiences in North America.  IPAY is a membership organization for artists, presenters, managers, agents, producers, administrators, educators and students who work or study in the field of performing arts for youth.

About Arts Education at PlayhouseSquare
PlayhouseSquare places incredibly strong emphasis on arts education and believes that it is essential to improving the quality of life in our community. Through a variety of workshops and classes designed for people of all ages, the PlayhouseSquare Arts Education Department offers avenues to discovery, appreciation and development in and through the performing arts, connecting participants with national and international artists in unique and meaningful ways.  PlayhouseSquare initiates collaboration among educators, artists and other community organizations, and actively forms mutually beneficial partnerships with local arts organizations to create and present arts education experiences of the highest quality.  Always striving to fulfill its role as an asset to the Northeast Ohio community, PlayhouseSquare is an active leader in advocating arts education both locally and within the performing arts industry.

###
PlayhouseSquare is a not-for-profit performing arts center whose mission is presenting and producing a wide variety of quality performing arts, advancing arts education and creating a destination that is a superior location for entertainment, business and housing, thereby strengthening the economic vitality of the region.

Cindi Szymanski
Communications Manager, Educational Programs
tel   216-348-5258
fax  216-771-7136

1501 Euclid Ave., Suite 200
Cleveland, OH 44115