[NEohioPAL] Sondheim/Rich @ Oberlin

Patrice Caine pcaine at berea.k12.oh.us
Wed Jan 21 04:54:53 PST 2009

I am not a theatre critic, nor am I terribly well versed in all areas of music.  I do know that I am a lover of Sondheim and most other old and new musical theatre works.

I saw the Sondheim/Rich interview when they were @ Oberlin, this Fall.  All that I have to say is that Rich can bring out the worst in people.  At least, that is what I observed.  Rich continued to question Sondheim about his past influences, and he asked him to speak on his opinions of shows like "South Pacific". He also had quite a bit to say about newer shows like "Spring Awakening" and even as far back as shows in the "Rent" era.

Rich's questions were often times pompous, and almost begging for negative answers. Sondheim appeared to not be comfortable with the entire process.  Even though I believe the men are frineds. Due to the style of the show (interview), I would have to believe that the same responses are not always given by Sondheim.

I am defending no one, but is the public interested in this great composer's opinions negative or positive about others?  My preference would have been to hear him speak of his own work.

Not sure about the NYC Sondheim/Rich interviews, but the Oberlin experience was less than I had hoped.

Miss Pat Caine
Ford Middle School
6A- Language Arts