[NEohioPAL] Criticism-Requiescat In Pace.

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 23 21:47:08 PST 2009

Mr. Kerr,

Yes, I also enjoyed the 'criticisms' on commentary, and vice versa.
But even if it is true, as your uncle Walter said, that criticism is no longer needed
or valued, what is getting just too painful to watch is the slow dying, and death of the very craft and profession that spawns the life of critics - live theatre performances.

It is like the honey bees, and the frogs, and the glaciers - vital and necessary elements of our living and breathing, natural living essences that are disappearing - vanishing from our
everyday lives with a rapidity that forms a large lump in our throats, and an
even larger vacuum in our hearts and souls. Live theatre is humanity's mirror -
enacted within the very same darkened chamber where our real emotions, dreams,
and nightmares are created and perceived, for joy or for terror. Every culture
on the planet needs to measure themselves, for sheer bliss or for utter anguish.

There can never be a substitute for human contact within 25 feet, and
sometimes much, much closer.If you think there is, it is no longer human.
No wonder that critics are a vanishing breed - they are like koala bears
in a forest with no eucalyptus plants- pelicans without fish, and. . oops!!.
 . . .here we go again. ..critics without plays.

If 'nasty, brutish and short' is a description of life, no matter who said it,
why art then? Why theatre, or dance, or poetry or any form of beauty or
grace that firmly puts the lie to the naysayers, the nihilists and, for the
younger ones among us, the' dark force?'

Technology is replacing human culture from a 'path that twisted in the woods'
to an eight lane expressway.What Borgian monstrosity will appear next
to swallow whole the flower of human creativity, as it has already attacked
the natural world with its lethal consequences and vanishing species?

"Straighten up and fly right," as the song says now -  but what song or beautiful phrase
will attract you to look up - and what breeze of air will bear you aloft?

Martin Cosentino