[NEohioPAL] Keep Government out of the Arts

Terrence J Smith smith at tennisamigo.com
Sat Jan 31 14:21:17 PST 2009

The purpose of governments is to protect us from hostile nations and from
criminals and settle disputes in the courts.  Keep the government out of
the arts, out of banks, out of autos, and out of our pockets.

All this bailout stuff is just breeding the mentality of 'I want to get
part of the loot.'  I participate in the arts through acting and music
performances, and if art is going to remain free (as in freedom) it can't
be chained down by some bureaucrat determining who gets support, telling
you what you can or cannot create.

As government starts getting into business, they are telling executives
how much money they can make, that any more than that is "shameful" (as
Obama put it).  Artists, male or female, must be paid according to the
market, not by voting for some legislation.

Terry Smith
North Olmsted