[NEohioPAL] Press features Aurora Community Theatre young actress

ACT Business Office christine at auroracommunitytheatre.com
Sun Feb 1 15:41:32 PST 2009

Aurora Community Theatre's "Gloria" from "Wait Until Dark" featured in
local press. From Hudsonhubtimes.com

    Stage a familiar place for young 'Wait Until Dark' actress

14 hours ago (Feb. 1, 2009)

by April Helms

Special Products Editor

The stage is a very familiar place for 9-year-old Ashleigh Nagy.

Nagy, who has been performing since she was 3, is playing Gloria in the
mystery thriller "Wait Until Dark" at Aurora Community Theater, which
was set to open Jan. 30 and runs through Feb. 21.

Ashleigh's mother Courtney, who lives in Aurora, said this was her
daughter's first non-musical show and her first show at the Aurora
Community Theatre. However, she has been in several musicals --
especially "The Wizard of Oz," her favorite. Ashleigh also recently
finished acting for a short educational film on energy conservation
which will be shown at schools.

"It's really fun," Ashleigh said of acting. "I love the feeling of being
on stage and being a character. I love to explore the characters."

"Wait Until Dark" tells the story of Sam Hendrix, who unwittingly agrees
to help a stranger by carrying an innocuous looking doll for her across
the Canadian border, not knowing the toy is stuffed with heroin.
Following the mysterious woman's murder, sinister con man Harry Roat
teams up with ex-convicts, Mike Talman and Sgt. Carlino to track down
the drug doll. The trail takes them to the Greenwich Village apartment
of Hendrix and his wife Susy, who has learned to adapt to her new,
sight-impaired world.

Through cleverly constructed deception, Roat and his compatriots
convince Susy that the police have implicated her husband Sam in the
woman's murder, and that the doll, which she believes is the key to his
innocence is, in fact, evidence against him. Susy refuses to reveal the
doll's location, and with the help of a neighbor's child, Gloria, begins
to realize she is the victim of a bizarre charade.

The play is directed by Bob McCoy, who is making his directing debut
with Aurora Community Theatre.

"I'm a brat," Ashleigh said of her character, Gloria. "I'm also smart."
Gloria also can be helpful, she added.

Ashleigh said she enjoyed her time working on the play and at the theater.

"This is the first scary play I've been in," she said. "I really like
it, and I think I want to try out for more scary plays, like mysteries.
I like musicals, too."

There's little doubt in the assured 9-year-old's mind as to what she
wants to do when she is older.

"I love theater, singing and dancing," she said. "That's my goal in
life, to do those things."

Ticket information

Tickets at $15 for adults, $10 for youth 18 and under, are available
online, including seat selection, at www.auroracommmunitytheatre.com, or
call the box office at 330-562-1818. Group discounts are available by
calling the box office.

Aurora Community Theatre is at 115 E. Pioneer Trail, near the
intersection of state Route 43 and 306, near the gazebo in the center of
Aurora.

--
Christine Patronik-Holder
Business Manager