[NEohioPAL] NEohioPAL] Keeping Government IN of the Arts

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 3 20:11:35 PST 2009

As always, Richard, you have a way with words that speaks to clarity and defining
the issue. That you explain the mechanics of giving is certainly droll enough. It seems
that you were also bored with this pragmatic description.

However, there is another aspect to 'giving to the arts' that you did not mention.
It is to the corporation's benefit in purely economic terms to give to the arts.
These donations are all tax deductible, which benefit the company in very
tangible ways. Becoming known as a benefactor of the arts has very HIGH
marketing value, which accrues to the company in terms of higher sales.
The Lilly Company of Indianapolis, the late National City Bank of Cleveland,
Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, all are nationally and internationally known as
benefactors of the arts.

Government itself cannot be kept out of the arts, especially in a capitalistic society
such as ours. We have just upset the entire world economy with TRILLIONS of dollars
lost to avaricious Wall Street bankers and brokers.  With the intrinsic greed built into capitalism, government must step in to mitigate the effects of uncontrolled individual and corporate wealth. It is a cliche that the nations of Europe have public arts funding that puts the United States to interplanetary shame!!! The city of Berlin, Germany, ALONE, with a
population of just over three million people, has a public arts funding budget of
three hundred million ($300,000,000)!!!! dollars - the United States of America,
a vast and sovereign nation of over three hundred million PEOPLE, has an NEA
budget of less than $200,000,000 dollars. How is that for an encounter with a
brick wall at 150 mph????

Let us hope that the proposal to create a cabinet level Secretary of Arts and Culture,
a position recognized in just about every country in the world, will finally come, under
President Barack Obama, to these United States. Now we're talking turkey!!!

Martin Cosentino