[NEohioPAL] Entertainment industry is recession-proof??

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 9 13:15:33 PST 2009

Brian,

The "entertainment industry" is not recession-proof. It also includes
the legitimate theatres of these United States, which have seen a 25% drop in attendance last year. Even though musical theatre attendance has increased (about 30%),Carousel Dinner Theatre is no longer with us.
Northeast Ohio is NOT 42nd and Broadway near Times Square. Three days ago,  I just saw the second-last performance of EQUUS at the Broadhurst, and the theatre was just half full.
The Cleveland Play House has cut back its coming season, and has layed off
several employees. Most of the 'live theatres' in Northeast Ohio have cut
production budgets because contributed income from grants and foundations
has plummeted almost 50%.

I noticed that you made no mention of 'live theatre' in your
Hollywood Reporter quote. Don't you consider these venerable stages
a part of the 'entertainment industry?' Or has the industry become, by
default, 'the TV and film industry' with no further mention of the
legitimate stage? It speaks volumes for 'the tough get going' those theatres that do not give up, but reorganize, rethink, and reshape.

With all due respect to your industry acumen, you might, in future, keep your analytical and critical comments separated from your business and commercial interests.

In any case, we all need some luck in these coming days.

Martin Cosentino
Interim Managing Director
Ensemble Theatre of Cleveland
**************************************