[NEohioPAL] Up From The River, Jack Bruce, Cowboy Junkies, Brandi Carlile & more

The Kent Stage wrfaa at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 16:47:17 PST 2009

Northeast Ohio's Best Acoustic Venue

LATEST NEWS

Up From The River This Saturday

1300 attend Children's Theater

Two-Time Rock & Roll HOFer Jack Bruce comes to Kent during R & R HOF Week

Cowboy Junkies make rare stop in Northeast Ohio

Brandi Carlile

Coming Soon! Steve Byrne - Star Of Comedy Central & a funny guy from Kent State!

WKSU & WAPS member discounts

INFORMATION

Website
Merchandise
Tickets
Support The Kent Stage
Directions

About Us

A Kent Stage Artist Making News

JOSHUA RADIN

Northeast Ohio's own Joshua Radin's recent single, " One of Those Days" was the Starbucks Pick of The Week Anyone who stopped in a Starbuck could pick up a free Joshua Radin download card redeemable for a a free download of "One of Those Days."  Recently "One of Those Days was featured on Gray's Anatomy and "They Bring Me To You was featured on One Tree Hill."   Joshua will be joined by Meiko and Jesse Harris on March 6th for a great night of music at The Kent Stage.

 Joshua's new CD, SIMPLE TIMES is onsale everywhere.

Just Announced

2/13  GreenLeif CD Release party
2/21  Monty Python Nite (Two movies, Holy Grail Ale & Free Spam)
4/24 & 25 Earth Day Celebration
4/26  Cadillac Sky

Friends of The Kent Stage,

The Kent Stage keeps rolling along.  March Madness, a two-time R&R HOFer, three different theatrical productions, a rising Americana star in Brandi Carlile, one of our favorite groups in Cowboy Junkies, the return of David Mayfield, Earth Day, a Monty Python Nite and these are just the new shows!  Thanks to your continued support, we at The Kent Stage are able to continue to bring great entertainment to our little corner of the world.   Watch for more & more exciting activities here at your favorite theater.  We are very sensitive to the current economic conditions, but as I tell many agents I work with, we are use to this in Northern Ohio.  We try to offer reasonably priced events, discounts to those who have donated to The Kent Stage and discounts to members of the radio stations which help us promote the concerts.  During 2009, I am working to bring a number of music icons.  The tickets will be more expensive than our usual tickets,
 but where else can you experience the fine acoustics of The Kent Stage as well as be in a hall where every seat truly is a great seat!  Thanks again for your support.  We would not be here without you.
See you at the Stage
Tom Simpson

UP FROM THE RIVERSeven years ago, John Begala came to us and offered to help.  We decided to create an event that would only feature artists from Northeast Ohio.  Down From The Mountain was popular at the time and with the Cuyahoga River running through Kent and The Kent Stage being located on top of a hill, we developed Up From The River.   Pretty smart for a couple of Kent guys!    We also started a tradition of involving at least one local musician to help determine the line-up.  If you have a problem with this year's line-up, it's all Red Michel of Rio Neon's fault.  If you like it, thank Tom!  This year we feature a variety of Kent, Akron and Cleveland based musicians. Opening the evening will be Jen Maurer and Bill Lestock followed by Jon Mosey.  Then we will take a short break for beer & popcorn followed by the Galgozy/Zeneny Dou and the evening will wrap up with the sounds of Cats on Holiday.  Not bad for ten bucks!  All proceeds
 go to the Friends of The Kent Stage, a non-profit group dedicated to the continuation and growth of The Kent Stage.  Doors open at 7PM, concert starts at 7:30.  See ya there!

Huge crowds experience Children's Musical Theatre of Kent

 Beauty and The Beast, Jr. draws over 1,300 last weekend
 Over 1,300 crowded into The Kent Stage over four days to experience the magic of the Children's Musical Theatre of Kent's presentation on Disney's Beauty and The Beast, Jr.  The performances were the culmination of 12 weeks of workshops, rehearsals, set-building and vocal training.  20 children from four communities made up the cast.  Under the direction of the staff of the Children's Musical Theatre group, the children performed as ensembles, soloists, narrators, and dancers during the extensive performances.  The school performance drew children from Kent City Schools, St. Pats, Ravenna, and Rootstown.    The play was sponsored the the Kent Parks and Recreation Department.  This was the eighth play put on by the Children's Musical Theatre group at The Kent Stage.  Look for another play in the fall.

Want to share your experiences at The Kent Stage?  Email them to us at wrfaa at yahoo.com.

Jack Bruce
April 1 Jack Bruce, composer, bassist, singer and multi-instrumentalist was born in the ship-building, Scottish city of Glasgow to working class parents. his love of music was stimulated by his mother (Scots folk music) and father (jazz). At age sixteen he won a scholarship in cello and composition to the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama of which he now holds an Honorary Doctorate of Music.
He left home at seventeen to seek fame and fortune and travelled around Europe playing with many jazz bands before settling in London. There he played with Alexis Korner's Blues Inc., The Graham Bond Organization, John Mayall and Manfred Mann before forming the world's first super group, Cream with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker. He composed most of Cream's hits, including I Feel Free, Sunshine of Your Love, White Room and many others during the band's meteoric career. After the demise of Cream he began his dream of pursuing his personal goal of forging his own musical language and playing with many of the finest musicians in the world in his own bands.
In 1993 Jack was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Cream, and the band had a tremendously successful reunion in 2005. The following year, Jack was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Grammy for his work with Cream.
He continues to be prolific musically and records and plays concerts all over the globe.
His most recent releases are Seven Moons with guitar god, Robin Trower and the six CD box set entitled Can You Follow? which traces his career from the age of nineteen up until (almost) the present day.

Cowboy Junkies
March 27Although it didn't originally have anything to do with their sound, the Cowboy Junkies' name wound up seeming pretty accurate: their music was grounded in traditional country, blues, and folk, yet drifted along in a sleepy, narcotic haze that clearly bore the stamp of the Velvet Underground. The vast majority of their songs were spare and quiet, taken at lethargic tempos and filled with languid guitars and detached, ethereal vocals courtesy of Margo Timmins. Over the late '80s and '90s, the group recorded a succession of critically acclaimed albums that found favor in the alternative rock community.
The Cowboy Junkies were founded by guitarist/songwriter Michael Timmins and bassist Alan Anton (born Alan Alizojvodic), who first played together in a Toronto-based band called the Hunger Project in 1979. They later moved to the U.K. and played with an avant-garde instrumental outfit called Germinal, but eventually grew weary of the group's style and returned to Toronto in 1984. They started jamming with Timmins' brother Peter on drums, and in 1985 they recruited a vocalist in sister Margo, at the time a social worker who'd never sung publicly before. Dubbing themselves the Cowboy Junkies simply because the name had a ring to it, they formed their own independent label, Lament, and released their debut album, Whites Off Earth Now!!, in 1986. Featuring only one original song, the album was recorded using only one microphone, and although it was initially available only in Canada, it helped them land a major-label deal with RCA. Their first widespread
 release was 1988's The Trinity Session, which was recorded inside Toronto's Holy Trinity church in the span of one night -- again using only one microphone. The Trinity Session became a cult hit, earning rave reviews from critics and substantial college radio airplay for tracks like "Misguided Angel" and their cover of "Sweet Jane."
The band is still comprised of its four original members: Margo Timmins (vocals), Michael Timmins (guitar), Peter Timmins (drums) and Alan Anton (bass) - all siblings except for life-long-family-friend Alan. The band has released nine albums in its fifteen-year career.

Brandi Carlile
April 6
Brandi Carlile grew up in Ravensdale, Wash., and made her live debut when she was just eight years old. As the story goes, her mother got her up on stage at "the Northwest's version of the Grand Ole Opry," where the young girl performed her version of Rosanne Cash's "Tennessee Flat-Top Box."
When she was still very young, Carlile taught herself to sing and play piano. She didn't teach herself to play guitar until she was 17.
Since then, she's never had a "real" job. She started out singing back-up vocals for an Elvis impersonator, and was playing gigs every chance she got. She eventually developed a back-up band with brothers Tim and Phil Hasenroth. Together, they began playing at local restaurants and bars, weddings, parties, and every other gig available.
In 2004, Carlile finally signed a deal with Columbia Records, and continued recording throughout that year. The resulting album, Brandi Carlile was recorded partly in studios in Seattle, and partly in her home in Maple Valley, Wash.
Since then, Carlile's career has taken off at rocket speeds. She was named one of Rolling Stone magazine's Top 10 Artists to Watch in 2005, and was invited to sing backing vocals for the Indigo Girls on their album Despite Our Differences. She's toured persistantly throughout the US and around the world with artists like Sheryl Crow, Ray LaMontagne, Train, Maroon Five, and others-as well as selling out headlining dates around the world.

Coming Soon

THE GIBSON BROTHERS
The Gibson Brothers have recorded three well-received albums and won the 1998 IBMA Emerging Artist of the Year award.
Thursday, February 12 -- 8:00 PM   MORE

 GREENLEIF and JONES FOR REVIVAL
GreenLeif is currently working on their third album and sharing stages with artist such as Ekoostik Hookah, The Recipe, Burning River Band, and many more.
Friday, February 13 -- 8:00 PM   MORE

A benefit for the
Friends of The Kent Stage
UP FROM THE RIVER CONCERT Featuring some of Northeat Ohio's finest musicians including; Jen Maurer & Bill Lestock, Jon Mosey, Galgozy/Zeleny Duo, and Cats on Holiday   Doors open at 7pm.
Saturday, February 14 -- 7:30 PM   MORE

CLAIRE LYNCH
Although Claire's songwriting is an undeniable gift, it's her captivating, "hillbilly angel" voice which has marked her career. Claire's is one of those rare voices which instantly reveals a beautiful personality and allows her to speak directly to your heart...   MORE
Saturday, February 28 -- 8:00 PM

JOSHUA RADIN with Meiko & Jesse Harris
Radin's songs have been featured on Scrubs, Brothers and Sisters, Grey's Anatomy, American Idol, One Tree Hill, Lead Balloon and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.   MORE
Friday, March 6 -- 8:00 PM

EKOOSTIK HOOKAH
The Ohio-based band began jamming during weekly open-mic nights when vocalist/keyboardist Dave Katz, lead guitarist Steve Sweney, bassist Cliff Starbuck and guitarist/vocalist John Mullins had full-time gigs with popular bands.   MORE
Saturday, March 7 -- 8:00 PM

RUSTED ROOT
The multi-instrumentalist group Rusted Root integrated the Grateful Dead's jam-heavy rock with percussion influences based on the music of Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America.    MORE
Saturday, March 14 -- 8:00 PM

TODD SNIDER
opening act Ashley Flynn
Best known for his wry humor, Snider has been a fixture on the Americana, alt-country, and folk scene since his debut on MCA   MORE
Saturday, March 28 -- 8:00 PM

An Evening with LEO KOTTKE
Leo Kottke is widely known for his innovative fingerpicking style. He draws on influences from blues, jazz, and folk music and has gained an international cult following thanks to his performances at folk festivals.   MORE
Thursday, April 2 -- 8:00 PM

JOHN GORKA & SUSAN WERNER
Rolling Stone magazine called him "the preeminent male singer-songwriter of what's been dubbed the New Folk Movement."   MORE
Friday, April 17 -- 8:00 PM

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Buy One, Get one 50% OFF!

The management of The Kent Stage is pleased to make this special discount available to members of WKSU-FM, WAPS, and supporters of the Friends of The Kent Stage.  Discount only available for tickets purchased on-line at www.kentstage.org or at the door.  Special on-line password are: WKSU member or WAPS Member.

Offer valid only for concerts presented by Western Reserve Folk Arts Association. Please have your membership card ready at the door.

Gold Circle and tickets priced above $50.00 are excluded.
This offer does not apply to tickets purchased prior to January 26, 2009.  Limit of one discount ticket per concert.  Not valid with any other offer.

To all of you who sent a donation and/or offer to help at the end of the year, THANK YOU.  We really appreciate your generosity.  To all of you who attend events at the Stage, Thank You as well.  Fundraising will now be a continuous activity with the development of the Friend of The Kent Stage.  As you may know, we are not paid to operate The Kent Stage.  We do this solely for the love of the music and our community.  Well, we do have a little bit of fun once in a while!   But there are always bills to pay.  You would believe this month's gas bill!  Thanks again for your support of The Kent Stage.   If you have suggestions as to acts to book that would draw a good audience, PLEASE email them to me at wrfaa at yahoo.com.

Sincerely,
Thomas Simpson
Friends of The Kent Stage

Location & Ticket Info
The Kent Stage is located at 175 East Main Street in downtown Kent, Ohio.  There is FREE parking behind the theater and on all city streets.  Advance tickets are available at Woodsy's Music and Spin-More Records in Kent, or 24-hours a day at www.kentstage.org or call 1-800-595-4849.  Tickets will also be available at the door.  Doors open one hour before concert.  If you have any questions please email us at wrfaa at yahoo.com or information at kentstage.org or call 330-677-5005.

Forward email

This email was sent to tom at kentstage.org by wrfaa at yahoo.com.

Friends of The Kent Stage | 175 East Main Street | Kent | OH | 44240