[NEohioPAL] Glengarry Glen Ross at Oberlin College, March 4-8 in Little Theater

Alexander Birnie alexander.birnie at oberlin.edu
Sat Feb 21 14:29:29 PST 2009

OBERLIN THEATER & DANCE PROGRAM PRESENTS

GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS

by David Mamet
Josh Sobel '09, director
March 4-8, 2009  8PM
Little Theater, Oberlin College

TICKETS
CAST
PRODUCTION TEAM
PRODUCTION NOTES
BIOS
PRESS/MEDIA
EXTRAS

[T&D's HOMEPAGE]

This March, Honors Candidate Josh Sobel '09 will direct a cast of
seven Oberlin actors, including Honors Acting Candidate Enrico Nassi,
in David Mamet's Pulitzer Prize-winning Glengarry Glen Ross, an honest
and brutal look at the dog-eat-dog mentality of the real estate
business in the 1980s.  The play tells the gripping, darkly humorous
story of four salesmen and the cruel contest that pits them against
one another, initiating a whirlwind forty-eight hours of bribery,
blackmail, and theft.  Based on the author's own experience working in
a real estate office, the play offers a captivating, often shocking
insight into the world of men who, in the words of top salesman Ricky
Roma, "live on their wits."

Glengarry Glen Ross will be performed at Oberlin College's Little
Theater Wednesday through Sunday, March 4 through 8 at 8 pm.  There
will be no matinee performances. This production is sponsored by the
Oberlin College Theater and Dance Program.

Tickets:
$3 In Advance
$5 At the Door
Tickets are available by calling Central Ticket Service at (440)
775-8169 or 1-800-371-0178. Seating in Little Theater is limited and
there is no late seating. Little Theater is wheel chair accessible and
parking is free, located behind Hall Auditorium.
[directions to Little Theater]

**PROMOTION**
BUY ONE TICKET FOR WEDNESDAY OR THURSDAY
GET ONE TICKET FREE!

Cast
Enrico Nassi '09			Ricky Roma	[Read an interview]

Andrew Mooney '09		Shelly Levene

Aaron Profumo '12		John Williamson

Alex Huntsberger '09	Dave Moss

Kevin Carr '09			George Aaronow

John West '19			James Lingk

Philip Waller '11			Baylen

Artistic / Production Team
Director

Stage Manager
Set Design
Costume Design
Lighting Design

Original Music

Asst. Director
Asst. Stage Manager
Dramaturg
Technical Director
Scenic Painters
Properties
Asst. Lighting Design
Recording Engineer
Box Office
Poster Design
Photography
Publicity

Josh Sobel '09

Sarah Gasser '10
Anya Kazimierski '11
Nicole Balin '12
Mike Rauscher '11

Ralph Jones, Arnold Lee '09

Elise Desiderio '09
Daniel Kessler '11
Heather Harvey '11
Amir Weg '10
Nick Wirtz '09, Rachel Lambert '09
Noah Morris '12
Mary Heatwole '12
Hunter McCurry '10
Barbara Kessler
Rachel Saudek '11
Rachel Saudek '11
Alex Birnie '09, Jenny Gaeng '11, Emma Louise Rodriguez '11
Philip Waller '11, Emma Walton '10, Marley Zeno '11

Production Notes
       Glengarry Glen Ross is "a very brutal play," says director Josh
Sobel. In depicting the morally uninhibited actions of desperate men
during a time of economic instability, Sobel hopes the play will
"force us to take a look at ourselves, our own business practices and
values, and see just how brutal and desperate we can be." He hopes the
audience will draw a parallel between Glengarry's economic climate and
the current recession. "We're in another time where jobs are being cut
left and right," he continues. "Who's going to survive that cut, who's
going to get shafted, what's going to make the difference . . . and
what rules are you willing to bend and break to stay afloat?"
     A lot, as it turns out. Mamet's salesmen find themselves
competing not only for a Cadillac car, but also against the imminent
firing of the two lowest sellers. "It's every man for himself," says
Sobel. And the playing field gets dirty, culminating with a break-in
at the real estate office and the disappearance of the firm's most
important sales leads, a valuable list of the names and contact
information of potential clients.
      In selecting his honors project, Sobel wanted to choose a play
that afforded him a challenge. One distinctive-and difficult-facet of
David Mamet's writing is the rapid, verbally charged dialogue that is
nowhere more evident than in Glengarry Glen Ross. "Mamet has created,
with this text, a piece of music," says Sobel. By analyzing the
rhythms of the high-energy, profanity-ridden patter of the salesmen,
Sobel and his actors aim to "let the text and the language bring out
the characters and bring out what's at the core [of the play] . . .
everything else flows organically from that."
      	Glengarry Glen Ross will also feature original jazz composed by
Faculty-in-Residence Ralph Jones, who played the saxophone in the
Theater and Dance Department's Fall 2008 production of Death of a
Salesman, and Conservatory saxophone major Arnold Lee '09. "Every time
I read this play, I get this very gritty jazz thing going in my head,"
Sobel explains. "So I thought, well, we have one of the greatest jazz
departments in the country, why not utilize that?" A steadfast
believer in the rewards of collaboration, he is thrilled to be able to
highlight their work and to "have something really original involved
in this show, something brand new."
      	The rest of the production promises to be just as gritty. "A
lot of people don't like the play," Sobel admits. "It's very
controversial. The play contains lots of four-letter words, lots of
coarse language, lots of adult themes, and lots of racial slurs." But
for him, the authenticity is part of what makes Glengarry Glen Ross so
brilliant. "I say that it's a play that should be greeted openly. As
brutal as it is, as coarse as it is, and-to some people-as offensive
as it is, it's the truth and you can't really shy away from that."

Bios
David Mamet (Playwright)

David Mamet is the author of many plays and one-acts, including Sexual
Perversity in Chicago, Duck Variations (1975), The Water Engine
(1977), American Buffalo (1977), A Life in the Theater (1977), Speed-
the-Plow (1988), Oleanna (1992), The Old Neighborhood(1997), and The
Boston Marriage (2002).  In 1994 he won the Pulitzer Prize in Drama
for Glengarry Glen Ross.  He has also written various screenplays and
directed ten films.  He is a founding member of the St. Nicholas
Theater Company in Chicago and Atlantic Theater Company in New York
City.

Josh Sobel '09 (Director)

Josh Sobel is a senior theatre major concentrating in directing from
Rochester, NY. Past Oberlin directing credits include Cabaret, The
Seventeenth of June, An Interview, and Hotline. Oberlin acting credits
include Death of a Salesman (Bernard), The Skin of Our Teeth(George
Antrobus), Omnium Gatherum (Khalid), Major Barbara (Morrison), Welcome
to the Moon (Vinnie), and Godspell. Other credits include The Oberlin
Playwrights Festival (Co-Producer), Eight at 8: The Third Annual
First-/Second-Year Showcase (Producer), The General of Hot Desire
(Stage Manager), and ReelPolitik (Asst. Stage Manager). He is an
alumnus of the National Theater Institute semester of study at the
Eugene O'Neill Theater Center, where he took part in an ensemble
project called OVID, an adaptation of The Tales of Ovid. He had the
privilege of serving as Assistant Stage Manager for three original
musicals at Barrington Stage Company (Pittsfield, MA), produced by
Tony Award-winning composer William Finn, and this past summer he
attended an eight-day directing intensive program through Yale
University. He plans to head to Chicago after graduation to begin
making his way in the theatre. He thanks his family for all of their
support and his late aunt Janet Bookspan for believing in this life of
his.

Press/Media
For media inquiries please contact Hall Publicity at 440.775.8171

Gallery/Extras
Interviews

An Interview with Honors Acting Candidate Enrico Nassi '09 (Ricky Roma)

VISIT US ON THE WEB AT

new.oberlin.edu/theater-dance