[NEohioPAL] The truth about deposits...

Brian Bowers bjbowers4584 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 08:28:24 PST 2009

First, everyone take a deep breath and calm down. :)

First off--the client in this case was not a "no show." She was attempting to cancel two weeks before her scheduled shoot date. It's not like she called that morning to cancel or just didn't show up.

However, canceling two weeks prior to the shoot did not entitle her to a deposit refund according to the photographer's posted cancelation/refund policy.

The truth is that deposits and policies are meant to protect both parties.  The reason that clients pay them is to ensure that the photographer will reserve time for them at the specified date/time. The reason photographers collect them is to ensure that the clients show up.  Yes, there have been many photographers burnt by people who do not show up for shoots. Both time and money have been wasted scheduling a shoot, and the time and money end up being lost resources.

So what is a reasonable policy for being able to reschedule a shoot? In the professional world, the expectation is that NOTHING is certain until the day of the shoot. I've worked as an agent on jobs where 30 people have been booked on commercials or print shoots that get moved the night before the shoot for one reason or another. Where I worked we had signed agreements in advance stating that cancellations needed to be within 48 hours or we'd charge them the full fee anyway. Sometimes we charged them the full amount, sometimes they weren't charged anything; but most often we worked out a COMPROMISE so that we still got some money for the time & effort.

This is just a tough situation for both parties. The photographer has been burnt in the past, which is why he has the policy. The client needs the money for other things, which is why she needs the money back. Who is right in this situation? I know lots of stores that have policies regarding returns, exchanges, late fees for movies, etc; but I've had things exchanged for me when I didn't have a receipt, had late fees deleted from my Hollywood Video account because I asked them to do it as a customer service, and I've had late payment fees erased completely from my record for no reason other than to keep my business. The rules and policies are there to protect, but a savvy business person also knows when to break their own rules as a service to the customer.

The moral of the story is to make sure you know the policies regarding refunds and cancellations BEFORE plunking down some money. And if you own or run a business, make sure you are policies are very clear and posted if possible.

Best of luck to both parties!

Brian Bowers
www.thebrianbowersproject.com
www.braedyphoto.com