[NEohioPAL] Fellow Performers

Doug Wilson dwilson1 at neo.rr.com
Tue Mar 10 18:52:11 PDT 2009

Recently I have read and seen a great amount of dispair within the performing community.  Theatres have closed.  Funding has become scarce.

I would like to voice my opinion where "live performance" is concerned.  I read recently in the spotlight on Eric Oswald where he was determined to never wear a "gorilla costume" again.  I know Eric and believe he has many GREAT stories related to his singing telegram career.  I would venture to say Eric's stage success is partly due to those years at Eastern Onion.

The fact is, all of us who are lucky enough and talented enough to perform in ANY live arena (from Theatre to Caberet to the lowly Singing Telegram) know that we are here to stay.

We are recession proof.  We are technology proof.  We are certainly depression proof.  As long as we keep honing our talents.

Good, well trained performers will always draw an audience.  Skilled singers, actors, acrobats, dancers, comedians.......... (the list goes on) will always find themselves relevent and necessary.  Venues come and go.  Performers require audiences and will do what's necessary to display their talents. And those lost within the constraints of hard times RACE to find solace in the joy of a truly gifted performance.

Fact is, no one can download a LIVE performance.  Not of a play.  Not of a revue.  Not of a gorilla singing telegram.

And, we all know, there's NOTHING like performing in a live show.  The thrill of being in the NOW is like no other.  It's what we crave and what we love.  And why we, in turn, are loved.  This NEOHIOPAL forum itself survives SOLELY as a result of the bond shared among our community (well, there is Fred's idealism.)

So, don your hat, slip into your dancing shoes, grab your cane or juggling balls, put on your chicken suit or just karaoke.  Hard times were made for those of us who cherish the opportunity to cheer people up.  Time to find your inner gorilla!  Who knows, you may get a helluva tip.

Doug Wilson
Akron, OH