[NEohioPAL] Freedom's Light - TrueNorth Cultural Arts - need two more woman to complete the cast

Richard A. Fortney rafortney at oh.rr.com
Fri Mar 27 10:12:13 PDT 2009

I am in the midst of casting and rehearsing an original piece entitled "Freedom's Light:  A Stop along the Underground Railroad".  It is a drama based on Lorain County's rich history in its involvement in the underground, taking place pre-civil war.  I am still looking for two woman actresses.  One African American, the other White.  We have assembled a large cast - dedicated and talented.  the performances will take place the first 3 weeks in May, Thursday - Sunday, with tech week beginning Friday evening, April 24th.    I need to fill in these 2 missing links ASAP.  If you are interested, please e-mail rafortney at oh.rr.com, or call me at 440.724.7189.  It is a great play, written really well ... if you are not interested, but know someone who might be, please pass on ... appreciate the help.  below are the two characters descriptions.

thanks!

- Rick

Early 50's - White Woman, religious ... woman of faith and conviction - but lives with the premise that God helps those who help themselves ... so is always "doing".    provides one of the love stories in the show, between she and her husband Robbins.  she is very strong and brave.  Eliza sings a number of Hymns in the second Act of the show while the Marshals are trying to hunt down Nellie.

Eliza Brigham Burrell - She married Robbins Burrell and aided him in Underground Railroad rescues. Eliza and Robbins married in 1824, which meant that they were not young when this play takes place; for the sake of creative license, we may decide to make them younger. Historically, she was a very religious woman; in the play, she took the opposite approach from her husband, believing that God helps those who help themselves. Therefore, when it was needed, Eliza stayed up all night in a vigil. She is fearful for Robbins, because of all the risks that he takes, but she is also very proud of what he is doing to help the slaves. She is unaware of how courageous she herself is and how much she helps Robbins accomplish his rescues.

This slave woman is not bright, very superstitious, a follower.  she needs to play the role at the age of 30 years old or any age older than that ... she sings a number of spirituals in the first couple of scenes in Act I.

Three slaves who escape with Nellie: there are two men and one woman. The female slave is not as intelligent as Nellie; the two men are capable individuals. None of them is named in the play.