[NEohioPAL] The Complete History of Theatre -- Condensed!

wsd wsd at infionline.net
Sun Mar 29 09:23:13 PDT 2009

Miller South Commedia dell'Arte Troupe presents "The Complete History of
Theatre - Condensed!" for one special performance at the Weathervane
Playhouse on Saturday, April 18th at 7:30 PM to benefit the
Weathervane's general operating fund.  All tickets are five dollars.
Call the theatre for reservations: 330 836-2626.  For directions to the
theatre:  http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com/directions.asp

Created by the troupe under the direction of Wendy S. Duke, this
scenario is a romp through theatre history in ways that Oscar Brockett
(author of a well-known college text book) never imagined!  From the
roots of theatrical performance in pre-history through Ancient Egypt and
Greece, Asia, Rome, the Dark Ages, the Renaissance in Europe, American
theatre and all the way through 20th century "isms" -- this is a living,
breathing and highly slapstick time line of theatre history.  Excellent
entertainment for the novice as well as the theatre history buff, "The
Complete History of Theatre - Condensed!" was created by the troupe and
was over four years in the making.   A Complete History of Theatre -
Condensed is a perfect example of arts integration -- infusing the
standards of acting as well as social studies in one project.

Commedia dell'Arte was born in Renaissance Italy, a form of popular
market place comedy featuring masks, stock characters and lots of
physical comedy.  It is the ancestor of circus clowns, harlequinades,
vaudeville comics, silent film comedy stars, and television sit-coms.

Miller South drama students receive commedia training in 6th grade and
may audition for the troupe in 7th and 8th grade.  We are pleased to
have worked with visiting commedia artist Gale McNeely for the past
three years.  Now in our twelfth year, the troupe has performed commedia
adaptations of Romeo and Juliet, Richard III, Hamlet  and the Tempest.
Our annual A Commedia Christmas Carol continues to delight local
audiences.  We have performed for groups and events throughout the area
and beyond, including performances with the Akron Symphony Orchestra,
Akron Arts Expo, the Highland Square Festival, Shakespeare in the Spring
at the University of Akron, Cleveland Public Theatre's Vaudeville Show,
the International Thespian Festival in Lincoln Nebraska, the Ohio State
University's Renaissance Faire, and Union Station in Washington, DC.

Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts is a public
magnet school for the arts in Akron, receiving the highest grade on our
state report card of "Excellence With Distinction."  All students must
audition to attend the school in either drama, music, visual art or
dance. The school is located at 1055 East Ave in Akron, OH.

We are now taking bookings for this production. We are particularly
interested in performing for high school and college history of theatre
classes as well as for theatre festivals and other public events.  We
will consider in state and out of state performances for the rest of
this school year and during the summer and the 2009-2010 school year.
This piece will become a permanent part of our touring repertoire.

For further information, contact Wendy Duke at wduke at akron.k12.oh.us.