[NEohioPAL] Spring Break Workshops

Renee Matthews-Jackson rmatthewsjackson at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 08:26:03 PDT 2009

THE INSTITUTE OF CULTURAL ARTS & EDUCATION

presents

SPRING BREAK
YOUTH & ADULT WORKSHOPS

Mt. Sinai Ministries
7510 Woodland Avenue

WORKSHOPS

Monday, April 13 - 17, 2009
9AM - 5PM Youth
6PM - 9 PM Young Adult & Adult

COMBINED SHOWCASE

Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 3:00 PM

~FEE~

$75.00 for entire week
or
$15.00 per day

(Some Youth Scholarships available)

WHAT WE OFFER

WORKSHOPS

Introduction to Theatre - Ages 5 - Young Adult

Conducted by VERLINA WHITE-KIRK is a workshop that introduces participants to the basics of Theatre and Stage-Crafting.  Participants learn voice, acting, and movement techniques through improvisation, and character building sessions.  Ms. White-Kirk has worked with The Greater Cleveland, Show-Wagon for the past several summers.  She has also been mentor, instructor, and confidant to hundreds of Mt. Sinai Ministry youth and young adults.  She brings her youthful expertise and artistically mature to these Workshop with an ever-present smile, and uplifting personality.

Introduction to Acting for Film and Television - Ages 16 - Adult - Thursday Evening Only (April 16, 2009)

PRESTER PICKETT, M.F.A., the first African American to secure a Master of Fine Arts in Acting from Case Western Reserve University, and former director of the Mount Sinai Baptist Church Drama Ministry conducts this Workshop.  Adults and older teens are engaged with an original script that Bro. Pickett has developed for Margaret "Shug" Avery from The Color Purple.  He shares his experience with producing and developing his original film; Harambee House, which won the same film festival as the script for Spike Lee's Drop Squad. Actors will benefit from this workshop by exploring improvisational techniques that are utilized by internationally acclaimed screen writers, and directors, and are encouraged to strengthen their skills as employed talents, as Cleveland, Ohio emerges as an "Edutainment" Mecca.

Introduction to Art - Ages 12 - Adult

This Workshop, conducted by ALICE HILL SEIFULLAH; promotes an understanding of visual art composition, and design, and focuses on proper use of artistic materials whether pencil, ink, paint, or other tools.  Also offered in the structure of the workshop; an introduction to basic drawing, and painting techniques, as it relates to contrasts in shapes, sizes, tones, and color theory.  Ms. Hill Siefullah is a prominent visual artist, and musician.  She is the daughter, and granddaughter of Mt. Sinai*s late pastors Hill.  Her works are exhibited throughout the United States, and you can visit her Gallery at 14940 Euclid Avenue, East Cleveland Ohio.

Introduction to Musical Theatre - Ages 12 - Adult

This workshop teaches youth and adults the basic techniques of auditioning for Musical Theatre by utilizing song, movement, and monologue.  The workshop is being conducted by ANGELA GILLESPIE WINBORN, Union Actor (AEA) who has performed throughout Northeast Ohio, and was most recently seen in Beck Center's production; "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" as the legendary Ma Rainey.  She also portrayed "The Woman in White" in the Antwone Fisher Story directed by Denzel Washington.

Introduction to Poetry/Playwriting - Ages 12 - Adult

Conducted by RENEE MATTHEWS-JACKSON, this workshop centers on the basics of character development, storytelling, oral history, and the dynamics of the beginning process of all theatrics.  Participants will write through-lines for the program that enhance all other areas of the Finale Showcase.  Ms. Matthews-Jackson is a poet and playwright who has written creatively since she was 14 years old.  She has also performed her works for some thirty years, and made her Karamu debut in 1987 as Mattie in the classic play, 'The River Niger".  Her most recent stage presence was in Gregory Carr*s world premiere, *The Colored Funeral in 2007.  Renee's directorial handiwork can be seen at the 2009 Arena Fest' April 3rd & 10th at Karamu in Carr's latest play, "Smoke And Mirrors".

Introduction to the Art of Crafting - Ages 5 - 12

This workshop introduces young people to an art that is as old as the ancients, and requires skill of hand and a keen eye.  LAURIE GRATTON shares her talents with participants by encouraging creativity, and making many beautiful creations by hand.  The use of creative vision is the only tool needed, besides the use of trinkets, beads, threads, and various craft materials.  The result, gorgeous crafts that can easily be given as gifts.  Mrs. Gratton has created arts and crafts since her teenage years.  She won many competitions in her junior and senior high school careers.  She has also created centerpieces, floral arrangements, and decor for countless venues throughout Greater Cleveland, and the Midwest.

Additional Workshops & Special Guests

Media & Communications - Conducted by Alan Seifullah

African Dance - Conducted by Rashumba

OUR MISSION

The Mission of "The Institute" is to develop, encourage, promote, and enlist an entrepreneurial approach to the future success of today*s youth, by allowing them to realize the fullest extent of their talents, skills, and gifts.  Our primary mission is to give our talent, skill, professionalism, and insight as a legacy to future artists, and to educate, encourage, enhance, edify, and entertain young minds into developing their talents so, they can use them for entrepreneurial gain in the future.

OUR GOAL
(A Three Year Plan)

The first year, an organizational year, is most critical.  Implementation of programming that involves young people, and adults of the City of Cleveland and surrounding Suburbs; through staged readings, plays, poetry jams, dances, competitions, summits, young people conferences, mime performances, and many other venues. The Company members, ages six through adult, will be students and mentors to one another; in Arts Education and Theatre, thereby establishing a core network of young and adult entrepreneurs with an emphasis on the Performing Arts.  Theatre productions and the success thereof, lessens the stresses of our organizational year, by exhibiting our talents with showcases, and enlarging our audience base as a direct result of our community organizing efforts.

The second year is a year spent doubling our rolls from the previous year.  Outreach will begin in this year where we tour, schools, libraries, churches, community centers, and various venues, taking our talents to the masses.  We also plan to increase support from the community by sponsorships, and a joint effort with other Arts agencies to create revenue and cooperatives.

The third year is our shine year.  After two years of successful productions, members begin to receive stipends for their involvement, thereby structuring our entrepreneurial efforts.  By giving a portion of earning to The Company, members begin to support their own capital potential.  The Company, by investing in themselves, becomes self-supporting and a stable asset in the community.  These efforts make The Company a self-sustaining organization that operates from our own monies and energies, and is seen as an on-going symbol of success in the community.

To secure a Registration Form, and/or Information, and all Inquiries please contact:

Renee Matthews-Jackson aka MotherRapper at (216) 587-4805