[NEohioPAL] Sing for Love on Monday!

Paula Kampf ruahkampf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:05:25 PDT 2009

Friends—

Monday, April 6th, 2009, from 4-5, next to City Hall:

We need your help, for what could be a fantastic, one-time, one-hour event.
Please watch the following music video (it’s three minutes), and then come
back to this message to get the details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5r4Oz4Nt20

So, Tom Goss is a gay singer/songwriter living in DC, who wrote this song
and produced this video as a simple message to underline the fact that “love
is love”—whether you’re gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, or straight.
He’s generously allowed us to use the video freely here in Cleveland to
promote a defense of Cleveland’s Domestic Partner Registry—as you know,
Cleveland City Council authorized a Registry back in December, which would
permit any two persons (gay or straight) to register as domestic partners
with the City.  Even though it has no legal force—registering as domestic
partners does not mean that one can get domestic partner benefits from an
employer, for example—a group of individuals, opposed to any expression of
“gay rights,” has mobilized to put the issue on the ballot, in an attempt to
get the legislation overturned.

Tom will be in town on Monday, April 6th to perform at the Barking Spider
Tavern.  We are planning to gather 100 or more people on the sidewalk in
front of the Free Stamp next to City Hall (601 Lakeside) to sing, as a
chorus, Tom’s song, “Till the End,” and videotape the event for distribution
across town (to create our own “music video,” with Tom leading us).
(Parking is available at the City Hall parking lot, and there are metered
one-hour parking spaces in the area).  This would NOT be a “rally”—just a
group of people coming together to sing a simple song that communicates the
message, “love is love,” and to remind people that a wide cross-section of
Clevelanders supports the Domestic Partner Registry.  We want a WIDE VARIETY
of people (like the video): gay, straight, African American, Latino(a),
Asian, white, young, old—everybody.

Can you join us on April 6th, from 4-5, to sing a song—and help create
change?  (Do you have to be able to sing?—not at all: we’ll have sheet
music, and will rehearse it a few times with Tom before we videotape.)

You interested?  Just reply to epike at atfgc.org, and let us know.  Thanks!

Earl Pike
AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland
3210 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH  44115
216-357-2221 (direct)
216-235-3446 (cell)
www.aidstaskforce.org

Visit us online at http://www.aidstaskforce.org for a complete list of AIDS
Taskforce of Greater Cleveland programs, services, special events, and
volunteer opportunities.