[NEohioPAL] Honoring Commitments, Part 2

DVangaasbe at aol.com DVangaasbe at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 16:10:13 PDT 2009

I have received several e-mails from other directors who have worse stories
 than what I had happen.  One director running a weekly mystery theatre
discovered much to his shock two days before a performance that one of his
actors had a major role in a production somewhere else.  It seems that the
young man could not figure out that the Opening Night conflicted with the
performance at the mystery theatre.  Ipso facto, a massive scramble to get
someone in at the last minute occurred.  The young man knew about this
particular opening night for two months and failed to tell the mystery  theatre.

Another director wrote me and stated that a leading actor dropped out of
the play only one week before Opening Night.  It was soon discovered that  he
had accepted a part with another playhouse because he wanted to play  that
part.

A student director had to find two actors two days before her class project
 was presented to the professor because the leading actor felt that the
particular drama being presented did not meet his specifications.  It  seemed
odd that he had no problem with the drama for weeks.  It was soon
discovered that he took a part at another playhouse.  The other actor  seemed unable
to function without the first actor and dropped out as well.   There's
backbone.

Frankly, I have three weeks to correct the damage.  Already the cast  and
crew are pulling together to make this play work.  Junior who left us  in the
lurch did not get the part he wanted and is a member of the ensemble with
the other playhouse.  I understand that he is happy as a lark.   Frankly, he
does not know how many bridges he burned behind him.  I  received notice
from another playhouse who figured out who it was stating that  he is no
longer welcome there either.

I do believe that we as directors and producers should take a very high
road here.  That is we should put the fear of God in these rather talented
but rude actors and actresses who believe they can walk out whenever they feel
 like it.  That means you sit Junior down and tell him or her that he or
she  will never act again in the area until he or she cleans up the act.  That
 is you finish what you start.  I have two children.  They are both  highly
talented and are in demand.  However, they were both told you finish  what
you start.  Both are no nonsense type people.  Coaches, directors  and
teachers loved them because they took the responsibility of honoring a
commitment.

I had a bad feeling two months ago about an actress when I was casting
Once Upon a Mattress.  This young talented actress came  running in about one
and one half hours after auditions started.  She  claimed she could not be at
the beginning of the auditions because she was  in rehearsal for another
play.  I allowed her to audition since she was  there but I told her that the
part she wanted was going to be given to  another actress who had shown up
on time and in my opinion had more  talent.  I did state that I would offer
her  another part but that I would have to talk to her director in the  other
play. When I asked for the name of the director who was in the other
production so I could coordinate schedules, she balked.  I withdrew the  offer.
I later discovered that there was no way that she could have done  this play
and that play.  Frankly, my instincts clearly showed that she was  not
happy with the part in the other play.  Unfortunately, she accepted the  part.
In my opinion, that means you play the part.  If you are that  talented an
actor or actress, then it should be a snap to make it work.

I did have another actress who was involved in another play when she
auditioned.  She was up front about it and gave me her schedule.  I  saw that I
could use her in Once Upon a Mattress and the part I had for her  could
accommodate her schedule.  She went to every rehearsal of the other  play and
when she was not scheduled for rehearsal she came to us.  That is  a good
actress because she was honest and she was willing to work with  everyone.

I am asking all directors and producers to honor other playhouses
productions. The playhouse that cast Junior has had several of their actors  come to
my playhouse for major parts.  When I see that there is no way we  can
coordinate a schedule so the actor or actress can play both, I do not  cast.
That other director has invested time and energy in directing that  actor or
actress.  He or she should not have the rug pulled out because  Junior who
has talent cannot figure out that commitment means to the end of the
production.

David Van Gaasbeek, Director and Producer, Canal Fulton Players

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220814837x1201410725/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26
hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilfooterNO62)