[NEohioPAL] A Chorus for a Cause benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Christine Allison canote at sssnet.com
Thu Apr 23 19:36:33 PDT 2009

A Chorus for a Cause
Christine Allison
P.O Box 35924
Canton, OH   44735
canote at sssnet.com

Dear Fellow Musician,

     Let me introduce myself -  my name is Christine Allison. For those of
you who don’t know me, I have 34 years experience as a church director of
vocal music. Most recently, I built and served as director of a thriving
music program at Church of the Lakes
for 28 years.  I have also directed
numerous choirs with orchestra, am the director of Bel’ VOCI, (an auditioned
handbell choir in Canton) and teach handbells at Mount Union College. I
graduated from Mount Union College with two Music degrees and did graduate
work at The University of Akron. For the last 20 years I have kept my skills
sharp and expanded my knowledge by taking advantage of continuing education
experiences yearly. During my lifetime, I have performed under such choral
greats as Robert Page, Robert Shaw, Daniel Pinkham, Bruce Browne, Lloyd
Pfautch and Sandra Willets, to name a few, not to mention wonderful
orchestral conductors. For years I have dreamed of using my experience and
training for a specific purpose and now I have the time to do something
about that dream.
     God is still speaking and it is clear to me that I am to be directing a
choir that will make a difference.  I cannot keep silent. I must let others
know of the beautiful music that is still being written
because God is not
silent!  I am starting a choir that will do just that.  In addition, I am
being called to sing for a cause. It is my desire to perform “Sing for the
Cure ®” benefiting Breast Cancer research.  Everyone knows someone who has
battled or is battling cancer. We must join together to fight this
non-discriminating disease, too. Just as this cancer can effect all kinds of
people, female AND male, so can this music reach everyone who sings or hears
it. There is a musical style for all
big, bold and beautiful, to jumpin’,
jazzy and jivin’.
     God is still creating
writing wonderful music through modern composers
such as Joseph Martin, Rosephanye Powell, Patti Drennan.  “Sing for the Cure
®” couples the music of a number of different composers along with narration
(to be done by a celebrity). The piece incorporates orchestra which is
currently being secured (all volunteering, as well). There are several vocal
solos (male and female) in this touching work, all to be auditioned and
assigned from the chorus. We could easily have 200 or more singing!  “Who
will sing for them?”  “Who will remember them?”
     It is my hope to bring together people from several counties to make a
difference in our community and the world.  Music unites us. According to a
recent survey, choral singers are more apt to volunteer than others
they
will make a difference!  You may think we have enough community choruses,
but this is different. I am not in it to entertain. I am wanting to make a
difference and show that God is still speaking through music.
     In this hard economic time, I am hearing that fewer people are taking
extensive vacations this summer.  So, why not bring interest to the season
by doing good for others. Make it your mission to make a difference. “Who
will sing for them?”
     I am inviting you to join A Chorus for a Cause. Together we can make a
difference
in our own lives as well as others.  Because of the nature of
this event, I am asking each singer to pay $25.  The fee covers the cost of
music (yours to keep) and help with other expenses and the remaining funds
will be contributed to a well-known Breast Cancer Research Fund.
     Don’t miss the exciting event!  Rehearsals will begin Wednesday, June
10th, (my father’s birthday, a cancer survivor himself) at 7:30 p.m. And go
through the summer every Wednesday night.  Most choirs are done for the
summer, so what better time to keep our voices going. Your directors will
love you for it!  Rehearsal place is St. Michael’s Catholic Church
corner of
Fulton and Whipple in Canton
large enough to hold a couple hundred singers.
 The concert will be the end of September
details will follow once I know
the group size.  If it’s as big as I’m envisioning, we’ll need a large hall.
     To reserve your singing spot in Sing for the Cure, please respond to
the above email address and a reservation form will be sent back to you.
Those must be in with your check by May 25th.  It will be first come, first
sing per section, keeping a choral balance in mind.
     I hope you will be as excited about this as I am.  I look forward to
hearing from you soon.  Any questions?  Please email me at the above address
with Sing for the Cure® in the subject line.

       Enthusiastically yours,

        Christine Allison
p.s. To hear snippets go to Http://www.turtlecreek.org/index
php?/music/samples/sing_for_the_cure/

“If one single voice in the cause can be heard, imagine the power of all our voices lifted together in chorus. For it will take all of us to carve out a cure from our concern. Do you hear it? Sing! Sing above the sighs of apathy! Sing a future without fear for our daughters! Sing the dream into reality! Sing! Sing! Sing!”