[NEohioPAL] Fw: Summer-Stock Camp

Renee Matthews-Jackson rmatthewsjackson at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 14:33:28 PDT 2009

--- On Tue, 5/5/09, Renee Matthews-Jackson <rmatthewsjackson at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Renee Matthews-Jackson <rmatthewsjackson at yahoo.com>
To: "North East Ohio Arts" <neohiopal at listserve.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 5:30 PM

For Immediate Release
April 27, 2009

The Institute of Cultural Arts & Education (TICAE) would like to introduce our First Annual Summer-Stock Camp for Cleveland area youths and young adults, ten – twenty-one years of age.  The ‘Camp’ runs Monday through Friday from 9 AM until 3 PM for eight weeks. June 15 – August 15, 2009.  Performance dates are August 7th, 8th, 9th  & August 14th, 15th,  & 16th - Fridays and Saturdays the shows begin at 8 PM, on Sundays, the performances start at 4 PM.

Our very first production of our Annual Summer-Stock Camp is “A COLORED FUNERAL” by Gregory S. Carr of St. Louis, Missouri.  Directed by Renee Matthews-Jackson, a Cleveland native.

A COLORED FUNERAL was first read at Karamu’s 13th Annual Joyce Whitley Arena Fest’.   The play was presented as a World Premiere production as part of Karamu’s 2006 – ’07 Season, and was met with rave reviews.  Since, Mr. Carr has produced the play several times in St. Louis.  A cast of senior high school students did the last production.  This year the young people enrolled in our Summer-Stock Camp will have an opportunity to present a contemporary professional work of Theatre.  Opening Night, August 7, 2008, we will host a Reception for the playwright prior to the performance, and a Q&A following the show.  We will also hold a "Health Fair" on Saturday, August 8th from 3 PM until 7 PM that involves Health Organizations that are leaders in the medical field in Greater Cleveland.    The show immediately follows the Health Fair, and a Talk-Back follows this performance.

THE COLORED FUNERAL as depicted by Gregory S. Carr;

“A Colored Funeral consists of 18 vignettes. The vignettes are divided up into various monologues, musical numbers and scenes. The set is a funeral home and each vignette takes place in a specific *parlor.*  Health related issues such as HIV/AIDS, (Issues of Blood) obesity, (Obsequies and Obesities) alcoholism and nicotine addiction (Here*s A Toast) high blood pressure (The Pressure) diabetes (Bittersweet) and cancer (Oncology Blues) take on new meaning when given a human *face.*   Social issues such as domestic violence, (Catchin’ Hell) police brutality, (Death While Black) securing a will (Will and Tess) gang violence (The Shrine) and self-determination (Epitaph) are given sardonic and insightful treatments.  Emotional issues such as the passing of an older family member, (A Loss of Elders)  A Colored Funeral is a satirical, comedic, poignant and sometimes irreverent look at  death in the African American community. Each culture has its own
 traditions, taboos and mores in dealing with death, but the African American community has experienced unique challenges, circumstances, and hardships that has spawned many creative ways of coping with this universal phenomenon.”

Tuition is $75.00 per week, per student.  A Continental Breakfast & Lunch is provided.

Payment Schedule:

Pay # 1 - $200. per student due no later than May 11, 2009
Pay # 2 - $200. per student due no later than May 25, 2009
Pay # 3 - $200. per student due no later than June 8, 2009

TOTAL - $600.00 - 8 Weeks  - The Camp only holds 30 students.

(All Fees to be paid on or before June 8, 2009, no later than 5 PM.  For families with more than one student, Fees are negotiable).

For further Details and Enrollment please contact:  Renee Matthews – Jackson (216) 587-4805.