[NEohioPAL] Playwrite Jeffrey Barnes Returns

GMSkerritt gmskerritt at aol.com
Wed May 20 12:12:40 PDT 2009

PLAYWRITE AND ACTOR JEFFREY BARNES
BRINGS NEW WORK TO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH

Jeffrey Barnes will return to The First Baptist Church of Greater Cleveland on May 22, 2009 at 7:30pm in a performance of his new play, “And He Ran Screaming“.  Jeffrey performed his previous play “Remember Who Made You”, a one man play exploring the myths, fears and joys of being both gay and Christian, at First Baptist last year.  He writes of his new play, “What would happen if you could travel into the past to meet yourself at a younger age?  What would she or he think of who you've become?”  In his newest one person show Jeffrey Barnes attempts to do just that. See what happens when he meets the younger, more naive version of himself. Join him on this revealing journey filled with school bus bullies, gym class sissies, love, lust, betrayal, damnation, and salvation.
In the play, Barnes keeps praying to God to change him, and yet he still has sexual feelings for men, so he thinks that God is ignoring his prayers.  After a long time, he realizes that God did answer his prayers: God changed him from hating himself into loving himself as he is because God loves him as he is.
Barnes says, “It can be a scary thing to take a realistic look at who you were in the past and see what brought you to where you are today.  This is probably the most challenging project that I’ve taken on because I feel I have to be honest about who I am and where I’ve been.”  Jeffrey will lead an audience discussion following the play.
WHAT:  “And He Ran Screaming” written and performed by Jeffrey Barnes
WHEN:   May 22, 2009 at 7:30pm
WHERE:  Spahr Center
    The First Baptist Church of Greater Cleveland
              3630 Fairmount Blvd.
              Shaker Heights, OH 44118
CONTACT:  Sharon Anderson
                   Director of Arts Outreach
                   216.932.7480 X22
                   sanderson at firstbaptistcleveland.org

Suggested donation at the door, $8.00
Visit Jeffrey Barnes’ website at:  RememberWhoMadeYou.com