[NEohioPAL] : Re: Auditions for national booking agency

Kathee Tomlinson transplantncold at hughes.net
Thu May 21 16:47:01 PDT 2009

Thank you very much for your post!  When we first started - I was suckered
into the whole "he's the best we've seen, etc." from an "audition" -- I
learned a very costly lesson...on a happier note, I have done exactly as you
described and we work the state of Ohio to get experience (there are plenty
of opportunities out there) now.  We have an agent and the resume is
building...for now.

If you feel compelled - like you just might miss your "shot" - and you must
go -- then when they make the pitch for a call back and invite you to go to
a showcase, etc. -- you can simply tell them that you are interested but
would only be able to attend if they have a "scholarship" program.  If they
are real -- and truly interested in the up - and - up...you'll get one..
otherwise, thank them kindly for their offer and respectfully decline.

The expenses I incur to help my young actor's career are gas, food and
sometimes hotel stays (but not too often since we stay primarily in state).
You CAN do it on a shoestring budget ( I know, we are a single income
family) and when he is ready to look at something bigger -- he will have a
very nice resume to show for it; which will help in the long run.

The main thing I've found: Talent or not; you HAVE to get your experience..
and it isn't through a showcase or mall audition.

Good luck in pursuing your dreams!!!