[NEohioPAL] A personal invitation from David Hansen

David Hansen pengo at davidhansen.org
Wed Jun 17 19:45:37 PDT 2009

Dear Theater Friend,

What are you doing this weekend?  Come down to Cain Park in Cleveland
Heights for their first PLAYWRIGHTS WEEKEND.  Three fabulous
Cleveland area playwrights are presenting workshop productions of new
works in the Alma Theatre.  The price is right, and no matter which
evening you choose, you will have a wonderful, eye-opening experience.

Friday, June 19 its DROWNING THE FLAME by Michael Oatman.  I just met
Michael this year through the Cleveland Play House Playwrights Unit
and in a short period of time he has become one of my favorite
writers in town.  He's also wildly prolific and I really enjoy
whatever he's working on.

This is the second of two plays he has produced this month about
Tupac Shakur.  Did you know Tupac and Jada Pinkett Smith, future wife
of the anti-Tupac (Will Smith) were very close in high school?  I
didn't know that, but it's true.  I can't say if anything else in
this play about that love triangle is true, but that doesn't matter.
Director Mia Jones has put together a great ensemble for a powerful
night of theater.

Saturday, June 20 features BEING EARNEST a pop-musical play by Deb
Magid.  Deb is a serious triple-threat, she writes (music and lyrics)
sings and performs in this contemporary homage to Oscar Wilde's
"Earnest" by way of Bert Bacharach.  I have also been really
impressed by Deb's work in the Playwrights Unit this year, anyone who
has so much fun mixing words and music the way she does is worth
listening to.

Under the direction of Larry Nehring, a tour guide who goes by the
name of Algernon makes his way through an alphabet of women, enjoying
word games, art and sexual relations in odd places.

Wrapping up the weekend on Sunday, June 21 is BON VOYAGE, NATE by
Steve Maistros.  Steve's work is drop-dead hilarious, and I have
enjoyed seeing his vignettes about the horrors of modern life played
out at places like Cleveland Public Theatre.

Director Margi Herwald Zitelli has put together a crew of my
favoritest-funniest people in Cleveland for this one.  How exactly
does an office successful make their way through the grieving process
for a dead co-worker?  This play entirely fails to answer that
question, but you don't care, because it's funny.

Three plays by three Cleveland playwrights.  Tickets are cheap, and
they are cheaper in quantity - $8 for one play, $15 for two plays,
$21 for all three plays.  All shows have a 7 pm start time.  Cain
Park is at Superior Road at Lee in Cleveland Heights.  Call
216-371-3000 for tickets.  It's going to be a beautiful, warm
weekend, and if you have never been to the open-air Alma Theatre at
Cain Park, you are missing out on another feature that makes this
city a great place to live.

I will see you there.

David Hansen
Organizer, Cain Park Playwrights Weekend